Mashup: Metroid II - SR388 & Super Mario 64 - Bowser Road

Jamish

Hello all. I've posted a WIP here before and got a lot of useful feedback, so once again I'm looking for some constructive criticism, harsh or not, on my latest remix.

It's a mashup of the SR388 theme of Metroid II (GB) with Bowser's Road from Super Mario 64 (N64). You can hear a wee bit of Metroid Prime in there, too.

Please let me know what you think. :<

http://tindeck.com/listen/fduo

Sources:

holy shit, this is awesome.

what programs/plug ins are you using?

FL Studio 10. Used some 3xOsc and PoiZone synths I made, FLSlayer, and some modified Sytrus presets. I used the Hardcore guitar amp plugin, too. Other effects were just your standard FL Studio EQ or limiter stuff.

Come to think of it, I probably didn't change the Sytrus synths too far from the presets like I meant to. I just ended up liking the way it all sounded.

You could use more percussion - I think you get away with a lot because of the semi percussive qualities of the non-lead synths, but it could use a lot more 'real' percussion.

Yeah, percussion is never my strong point. Other than the crash cymbals, I think I only have 3 or 4 percussion samples in this song. Is it an issue of the samples I chose, or not using enough different samples, or not making varied enough beats?