Going to buy my first equipment

Darklaw

Hey guys. Longtime fan is going from "consumer" to "producer" here, so I'm buying my first time equipment.

Problem is, it's been so long since I played I don really know what's what anymore. I don't even know the difference between a synth and a keyboard :/

So, if anyone could point that distinction out to me, it would be great.

Then, Im wondering just what to buy. I'm looking to play myself, but also to remix stuff in a music program on the computer. How are keyboards/synths compatible with that novadays? I'm pretty green when it comes to the tech, but I still know all the basic chords and some more advanced playing tecniques, so I'm itching to get started.

My budget is pretty big, so if I'm converting Norwegian prices to USD you could say I got aproximately 1800-2000 dollars to spend on this stuff. I'm also looking to make music that is not going to be OC Remix-stuff, so versatility is a priority. The classical piano sound is a must of course, but I guess most keyboards and synths have that.

Sorry for being so terribly low on the most basic information, but I figured this was the best place to ask, since this has been the dream for a very long time.

Thanks in advance

A synth, as it's known these days, is a piece of hardware or software which creates sound via oscillators or wavebank that can be altered via ADSR envelope (in most cases). A keyboard is a piece of hardware which has piano keys. Some keyboards have built in synths, some are just MIDI controllers (soundless keyboard made for controlling sounds on a computer or synth).

The question of synths comparing to PC software is a tough one these days. Most people use a hybrid method of keyboard and computer. Usually a keyboard/synth is used for sounds and controlling sounds while the computer is used for tracking, mixing and generating sounds of its own (via virtual instruments and software synths). If you want an all in one solution then you are looking for keyboard workstations, which are keyboards/synths that have built in sequencer and audio recorders allowing you to make complete songs on them, but they are very expensive (around $3000-4000).

Here's a quick breakdown of how things stand these days:

Keyboards/Synths:

+ You can play them to generate sound.

+ The sounds tend to be musical and programmed for performing, easier to sound good.

+ Onboard controls let you be expressive musically.

+ Easier maintenance, few problems.

+ Generally more musical and inspirational.

Computers:

+ Sound quality of instruments is better.

+ Much more powerful for creating songs.

+ DAW software tends to be intuitive and very good for building music.

While keyboards sound great and are musical, they'll never have sounds that are as realistic and detailed as virtual instruments on a PC. That doesn't mean that a PC is better, since it's more difficult to use huge convoluted sample libraries. Think of it as programming music (PC) vs playing music (keyboard). That's why the combination of PC and keyboard is crucial as it gives you a good balance of the two.

If you're starting out I suggest you go with the combo of a MIDI controller keyboard and a DAW for your computer.

Good DAWs include:

Cubase

Cakewalk Sonar

Apple Logic

FL Studio

Ableton Live

Reaper

Do your research (Google is best) and figure out what you like. There are many demos to try and learn (and you can use Reaper for free until you feel comfortable enough using it to buy it). If you're serious about music then you'll do serious researching and figure things out, no one person can tell you what you would like best. Look up some MIDI controllers, get a list of the ones you're interested in, then go to a music store and try them out, get the one that feels best under your fingers.

But yeah, most important thing is that you use google and learn about this stuff, you'll be much better off.

+1 to all the above. A good place to start for an all-in-one solution as far as a software soundbank would be Native Instruments' Komplete series, from what I can tell (don't own it, but know a lot of people who do). That + a good DAW + a good MIDI keyboard controller (assuming you have a half-decent computer to start with) would be as good a place as any to start. If you have any friends who are into digital music creation, see if you can't pester them to let you play around with their setups as well.

If you're interested in poking around at the software side of things, Reaper and FL Studio are two DAWs that I can think of which provide nicely-featured demos to tinker with.

Thank you so much. I wasn't really sure if anyone was going to answer this, but this helped alot. I actually have a friend that samples beats for hip-hop, so I'm going to pester him alot :P

And I totally agree that a combo of a keyboard and a computer program is the best, that's what I had in mind, just wanted to check with the pro's first. Sounds really good, I'll be researching this now.