Extended Remix of Zelda: BoTW - Monk Maz Koshia Boss Theme

Posted (edited)

Hey, I've been downloading tunes from OCRemix for some years now. Just now decided to actually participate.

Anyway, this song is an extended remix I made for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild. To be specific, it's the final boss battle of the BoTW Expansion DLC. Anyone who has fought this guy, or at least heard his theme music, would know about the techno-like build up at the beginning. In my personal opinion, that beginning was the best part of the song. For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, here's that boss battle:

So, without further adieu, here is the extending remix I made. Now, I wanted to create a build up similar to the original song, and I didn't want it to sound any different than the original. So, I've sampled the original instruments and other sound samples (such as the background Ooooooohs, and the shrine-battle tunes). I wanted it to sound as authentic as possible while keeping to the original composers initial vision. Later, I converted the transition of the original song at the 1:14 mark to segway into the main drop of my rendition of the song. From there, I tried to keep the adrenaline high but adding a few mix beats. I also tried to shorten the pauses as much as possible to keep that adrenaline going (I.E. 1:37 [which is arguably a build-up], 1:56, 2:13).

Toward the end, I brought all the instruments together at 3:05 to ultimately conclude the song. Wanted to make the listener aware that I didn't forget the soul of the song - so I brought everything back full circle.

Anyway, please enjoy!

Edited by DJ Que

Hi Que!

The production on this great - I really enjoyed the cleanliness of the mix and how much clarity you were able to get between the samples, the kicks, and perc elements. I wanted to hear some more of the melodic material from the original besides the A section, as after the 2 minute mark it started to feel stale.

I am curious about the pauses between your transitions being shortened from presumably an older version of the piece. Were you feeling like they were dragging?

Looking forward to hearing more from you!

Spoilers!

This is a nice sounding source track. I really like what is here so far in the WIP, especially the drum work. Sound selection sounds great too. Throughout the track I felt that I wanted more variation and maybe further deviation from the source, but I do like what is here. 

Howdy Que! Echoing Seph's and luna's comments, your remix sounds impressive! You managed to get a lot of mileage out of the syncopated bassline of the source's intro. While the pacing of the arrangement is generally good, I think the shortness of the transitions causes the remix to suffer somewhat; you're keeping the adrenaline pumping, sure, but the listener doesn't have a moment to digest the segments.

That being said, we're looking forward to hearing more from you. Keep it up!

On 6/12/2024 at 10:01 PM, pixelseph said:

Hi Que!

The production on this great - I really enjoyed the cleanliness of the mix and how much clarity you were able to get between the samples, the kicks, and perc elements. I wanted to hear some more of the melodic material from the original besides the A section, as after the 2 minute mark it started to feel stale.

I am curious about the pauses between your transitions being shortened from presumably an older version of the piece. Were you feeling like they were dragging?

Looking forward to hearing more from you!

Thanks for responding. I appreciate the feedback!

1) You said, "I wanted to hear some more of the melodic material from the original besides the A section, as after the 2 minute mark it started to feel stale."

I didn't want to sound too stale, which is why I kept it fairly short. I tend to make techno tracks that are 8 to 10 minutes.

As for the melodic material beyond beginning of the track. LOLOL! I knew it! I knew I'd hear someone complain about that. I honestly thought about it, but I really didn't like the other portion of the song, because it felt very VERY Nintendo-ish. Nintendo music always seems to follow along Koji Kondo and his style of music. This particular track, after the beginning, definitely does that. Nothing wrong with it! I love Koji Kondo's music! But I like techno more! ROFLMAO!

2) You asked, "I am curious about the pauses between your transitions being shortened from presumably an older version of the piece. Were you feeling like they were dragging?"

Nope. There isn't an "older" version of the piece. This is the original remix. The transitions are shortened to keep the length of the track manageable. Like I said earlier, I tend to make longer techno tracks. At the same time, I wanted to keep the adrenaline pumping. Long transitions, when playing at a dance club, slows or even stops the dancing. But if you make the transitions short, people keep dancing!

On 6/12/2024 at 10:02 PM, lunarice said:

Spoilers!

This is a nice sounding source track. I really like what is here so far in the WIP, especially the drum work. Sound selection sounds great too. Throughout the track I felt that I wanted more variation and maybe further deviation from the source, but I do like what is here. 

I was trying my hardest to NOT deviate from the source. I love variation too, but I was afraid that if I did that, it wouldn't keep the same spirit of the original song. I really wanted to keep that original sound and stretch is as far as possible without making it too stale.

On 6/12/2024 at 10:08 PM, paradiddlesjosh said:

Howdy Que! Echoing Seph's and luna's comments, your remix sounds impressive! You managed to get a lot of mileage out of the syncopated bassline of the source's intro. While the pacing of the arrangement is generally good, I think the shortness of the transitions causes the remix to suffer somewhat; you're keeping the adrenaline pumping, sure, but the listener doesn't have a moment to digest the segments.

That being said, we're looking forward to hearing more from you. Keep it up!

I hear ya!

At the same time, I wanted to keep the track short. To accomplish this, I had to shorten the transitions.
As you know, in techno, people love their drops, and they want those drops to last foreveeeeeeer! I had to resist that urge to stretch this baby to 10 minutes (like I wanted).