video problems...

Dew

This evening I was doing some gaming and my computer locked up and I got a bunch of multicolored stripes across my screen. I tried a hard reboot and it gave me the same garbage at the post screen, so I took out my vid card and cleaned all the dust out of it and put it back in, but it's still giving me the same garbage. Sometimes when I reboot it'll start up but with all those stripes, and sometimes I won't get anything but a blank screen.

I let it sit for a couple hours and tried again, and it seemed to work fine until I tried using a 3D application, then it gave me the same problem once again.

I'm assuming the problem is that my video card is overheating, but I can't imagine why. My drivers are up to date, I cleaned all the dust off the heat sink, and the fan appears to be working correctly.

Does anybody have any ideas as to why this is happening?

The card is an NVidia 6800-GT that I got back when they were brand new, so the card itself is about 2 1/2 years old, and I've been using it heavily. Is it possible that it's just getting old and wearing out?