ReMix:Chrono Trigger "Horizons of Time" 5:31
Arranging the music of one song...
"Corridor of Time"Chrono Trigger (Square , 1995, SNES), music by Nobuo Uematsu, Noriko Matsueda, Yasunori Mitsuda
Posted 2020-08-12, evaluated by Liontamer
We're gonna travel back in time... to yesterday... to celebrate the 25th US anniversary of Chrono Trigger with this absolutely gorgeous chip/EDM chillness from DDRKirby(ISQ) [Timmie Wong]:
"This one is another remix that comes courtesy of my Patreon campaign, requested by Shadoninja. The original source tune is called "Corridor(s) of Time." I started this out with the basic idea of taking a slower, more experimental composition approach (similar to my "Phendrana Drifts" mix) but somehow, without even planning to, "time" itself, and specifically ways to modulate it, ended up becoming a central theme for the mix.
This shows up in several ways:
- Timestretching - Some of the pad-like textures in the song (particularly in the intro and outro) were created by greatly timestretching the other melodies of the song.
- Time signatures - The song bounces back and forth between a regular 4/4 time signature and a 7/4 meter for some sections, which may feel like time is skipping a beat every two measures.
- Reversed playback - I play around with reversed fills and effects, especially in the "beep beep beep" transition sound effects that first show up around 0:50, and later at the very end of the song.
- Rhythmic reinterpretation - Besides the main arpeggio motif, I took a number of artistic liberties in modifying the rhythms of the source melodies, especially in the section starting at 2:29.
- Reordered arrangement - At a higher level, the order of the various melody sections in the song is a bit backwards. The main melody at 1:49, for example, is the first strong lead melody presented, but in the original song it's a secondary pad melody that doesn't show up until later. The main recognizable arpeggio from the beginning of the original source doesn't actually appear in its original 4/4 form until the outro.
This is one of those ones that I spent a bit more time on than usual. I hope you enjoy it :)"
So cool; one of Timmie's best, even if it's a source we have ingrained in our collective neural VGM pathways. The idea to play with time in any of the ways outlined, given the source, isn't necessarily unheard of, but combining several such techniques - and having the resulting track still be a badass, chill, & entirely enjoyable affair - is rather impressive. Larry Oji writes:
"As one who's personally stretched for time these days, all I have time to say is that I greatly enjoyed the ride. :-) Thanks so much to Timmie for submitting this, and allowing us to say happy 25th anniversary in the U.S. to one of THE most influential and inspirational soundtracks in the entire history of video games."
Things Popular to Claim As Overrated That I Believe Are NOT Overrated (An Incomplete List):
- Citizen Kane
- The Beatles
- Chrono Trigger soundtrack
...probably a lot more, tbh. Moby Dick, maybe. Superb work from DDRKirby(ISQ) that embraces the time-manipulation concept but still turns out a satisfying, fresh, & accessible take on a legit VGM classic. Highly recommended!
on 2023-04-08 18:41:00
Truly one of his best works! (if you got a ping, there was a temporary bug and the video was unavailable. It's back now, odd...)
on 2020-12-27 06:37:05
For some reason this mix makes me think of ecco the dolphin. Very chill but also has underwater vibes somehow.
on 2020-08-14 10:04:09
Yeah, I really like this too! Nice how you build suspense by withholding the melody and only playing parts at a time. Drum rhythms also pretty tight
on 2020-08-12 20:13:35
I did not want this song to end. This could have gone on for twice the length as far as I'm concerned. Timmie, your latest remixes have been an absolute masterclass in how to take a popular source in all sorts of directions that are at once fresh and yet familiar. There are so many beautiful countermelodies and arpeggios that I can just get lost in, and the extra production work really complements the chiptune pallette that forms the base of the arrangement. Superlative work!
on 2020-08-12 11:26:00
What did you think? Post your opinion of this ReMix.
Sources Arranged (1 Song)
- Primary Game:
Chrono Trigger (Square
Music by Nobuo Uematsu,Noriko Matsueda,Yasunori Mitsuda
- "Corridor of Time"
- Effects > Glitching
Effects > Reversing
Time > 4/4 Time Signature
Time > 7/4 Time Signature
Time > Time Signature: Variable
- 9,748,060 bytes
- Size: 9,748,060 bytes
- MD5 Checksum: 8bb8f6c48957a22abd71af9afb6d58be
Right-click one of the mirror links above and select "Save Link As" or "Save Target As"!!
Help us save bandwidth - using our torrents saves us bandwidth and lets you download multiple mixes as a single download. Use the tracker below and scroll for more information, or visit https://bt.ocremix.org directly, and please don't forget to help us seed!!
ocremix.org is dedicated to the appreciation and promotion of video game music as an art form. more...
Please support us on Patreon if you can!
Page generated Tue, 06 Jun 2023 09:20:00 +0000 in 0.0555 seconds
All compositions, arrangements, images, and trademarks are copyright their
respective owners. Original content is copyright OverClocked ReMix, LLC. For information on RSS and
and the FAQ available there for information about the
site's history, features, and policies. Contact David W.
Lloyd (djpretzel), webmaster, with feedback or questions not answered there.