Link's Awakening - Tal Tal Heights (Ambient/Electro Remix)

Awakening Link

The Tal Tal Heights theme has always been a favourite of mine, the sense of courage it inspires is amazing, despite the fact it was being pumped from the tiny speaker of a gameboy.

This is my first remix which I've been working on for a while now, and it's got to a point where I need some fresh ears to take a listen and see what else can be done with it.

I'm particularly looking for feedback about the transition/drop section, at the moment I feel like it doesn't flow as well as it could and I'm unsure about what to do with it.

Apart from that any feedback at all is welcomed and appreciated, so thank you if you do listen!

https://soundcloud.com/awakening-link/scaling-the-heights

Not bad, not bad. Some comments:

- The build feels entirely too long, at least for what it does. I feel you may need to add elements into the song a bit quicker, or fill out the buildup much more to justify its length. I think a build not much longer than a minute would be sufficient myself, though if you can make it more convincing that's not a bad thing at all.

- The actual transition itself is a little off, there should be a bit more oomph to it, perhaps with a bass slide, reverse crash cymbal, some kind of sweep, there are lots of little tricks you could use for a transition into the beat. (As stereotypical as my suggestions are, play around with it though!)

- The beat itself is pretty solid, some of the instruments you use in that section feel a little dry, and perhaps don't fit very well with your other sound choices. Particularly that lead that plays the small motif at 2:16, 2:20, and continues on. It needs to settle into the mix a bit more, either with some EQ or perhaps changing the sound itself or choosing something else.

- The little percussive effects you add in throughout are a nice touch. If anything the beat overall does feel a bit weak so finding a way to make it more punchy without muddying the mix would be awesome.

Someone else may be able to give some better mixing tips. But this isn't a bad start, and there are some good sound choices (I particularly like the pad/key sound you use throughout, as well as the bass, though the bass feels too sparse). Think about the build and the transition some more and see if you can figure out a more convincing solution. Keep it up!

The intro/buildup is a bit long. Definitely shorten it. Limit yourself to changing things up every 4 bars, and it should make it more concise. Right now it's about half the song. The pace just never actually gets more exciting until the second half.

That first flute doesn't really work because it sounds fake. I think maybe a simple pluck arp might work better. The mandolin-like instrument is pretty good. It just sounds a bit dry, so add some reverb on it, or more reverb on it.

I think a Dubstep-like drum rhythm might work pretty well in the buildup.

Other than that, it's not bad, a lot of the sounds are pretty good. I'd replace the current leads with something more unique or expressive, and the saw wave playing the jazz chords with a real rhodes, or something closer to that.