Palpable

Contact Information

ReMixer name : Night Garden

User ID on OCR forums : 29775

Submission Information

Name of game arranged : Final Fantasy 7

Name of individual song arranged : Farm Boy

Composer : Nobuo Uematsu

Comments : I've been a fan of this website for a long time, but I never dared to submit anything because I was too afraid of getting three "NO". Now I feel like it's time to know what I have to change/improve in my music : I'm ready to get three "NO" !

---------------------------------------------------------------

http://tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF7_psf.rar - 205 "Farm Boy"

This is definitely the right attitude to have, and thanks for submitting. A rejection on this website is really a small price to pay for feedback that can help you the rest of your music-making life. Not that I can give anyone advice that helpful. :<

This was actually pretty well-produced for a first-time submission and pleasant to listen to. The adaptation to 4/4 was flawless, I didn't even notice until I went back to compare more closely to the source. The changes to the main melody were good as well. There are a couple big issues though. One is that there's barely any dynamic change in the song past the intro. The backing track is pretty constant, and this needs some variation somewhere, dropping out an instrument, adding a new instrument, changing up the drums, something. You brought back the intro strings somewhere in the middle and more along those lines would be good. The production is also sort of muted, and bringing back some high-frequencies would really liven this up. The ending could have been a chance to do something new, but the fadeout meant it held on the same style.

Hope this gives you something to work with, Vincent, this could definitely be a passable song with some revisions.

NO (resubmit)

I love when people have the attitude of being willing to learn. 9/10 of the time, these are the people who really succeed. :-)

My only really big sticking point with this mix is the string sample, especially when it's exposed in the beginning. the sound is grainy, and the attack is weaksauce.

I agree with Vinnie that the arrangement could stand a little more variation, but there is definite changeups in the backing track, as far as rhythms and textures. The fact that almost every instrument is always playing does sortof blend the sections together a bit much, but the rest of the arrangement is great.

Production was overall pretty good in a sortof indie rock vibe, I was definitely feeling it, though I do think boosting the higher frequencies a bit certainly wouldn't hurt to add a bit more sparkle. Drums were nice, and live bass really made it feel lively.

Overall this was a really good sub, and just needs some minor tweaking and i'd happily pass it. I really encourage you to tidy this up a bit, it's really close. If you have any specific questions, hit me up with a PM on OCR or AIM.

no, please resub

I'll just reiterate what I thought were the biggest issues here. The strings sound fake when exposed like that, the lead guitar is slightly out of tune, the arrangement could use some more variation and the mixing is a little muddy.

You show great potential though, with a bit more polish this could definitely pass. Work on varying up the arrangement a bit (vary the lead perhaps?) and make it sound it's best. Good luck!

NO(resubmit)