*NO* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'Grave Yard Promenade'

OceansAndrew

ReMixer name: Dr Sammy D

Userid: 5660

Submission Information-

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Shadow Temple -

It's probably been 6 years since I tried submitting here a while ago. I figured I'd give it another crack, what with me hanging out on the forums so often. I wanted to make a song out of what was really not a song. There were melodies in the soundtrack to this level, but none of it seemed really arranged into a song. So I took some of the motifs in it along with the closest sounds I could find to the original, and tried to make something that could tell a bit more of a story. I imagine this as a walk through a foggy grave yard, or perhaps a tomb, and I wanted to convey a sense of harmless danger, where the forces around you want to come after you, but it's not possible. At the end as you're leaving the area, they start futility screaming after you. That and I believe everybody's first remix should be a Zelda song.

Nice work taking an exceptionally ambient track and really pulling the melody out from it. Unfortunately, the arrangement tends to plod, but it's really difficult to keep things moving with an atmospheric soundscape and no percussion, especially with this source. Things are also pretty repetitive and somewhat bland. I do realize that a lot of this is the source's fault, but some tracks are just more difficult to remix than others, and this one is certainly up there.

Production could be both more defined, and deep, but really it's tough to gauge how to go about this without changing the mood. The leads are clear, and there is some texture in the BG, but It tends to bleed a bit to make things a little muddy.

WHile I salute you for taking on such a difficult source track, I gotta give this one a no, resubmit

OA's basically nailed this down. The source is very difficult to work with and your approach doesn't leave the most varied arrangement. While the subtle variation in the main string instrument's melody is nice, the arrangement lacks direction and could afford to develop the source differently or in another direction. Right now it's just somehow dragging with little to no changes in the soundscape.

Production was decent but you limit yourself to just a few instruments and these instruments could be a lot more upfront and work better together. The rumbling bass is a nice touch but it doesn't add much to the track except.. well, rumbling, and the issue is that the track is a bit too sparse.

Sorry man, can't sign off to this.

NO

If you were going to take this in an ambient direction, I'd say you need more atmosphere and fewer perfect fifths. If you were going to take it in any other direction, I'd mention that perfect fifths are the ONLY harmonies you have in here.

the textures are pretty cool, but you really need more going on one way or the other.

NO