Getting Started: Hardware and Software?

Threads like this are likely posted all the time, but I have to ask.

I'm seriously considering getting into mixing. I've studied out software packages and I know that I want to purchase Cakewalk's Sonar 7.

But, aside from that, I'm quite inexperienced. I'm not sure which edition of Sonar 7 to buy, and I'm even more lost when it comes to hardware. I have a very, very general idea of what I'll need, but I really need some help here.

Hey. We all have to start somewhere, right? :razz:

Thanks in advance. :<

Threads like this are likely posted all the time, but I have to ask.

http://www.ocremix.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29

But, aside from that, I'm quite inexperienced. I'm not sure which edition of Sonar 7 to buy

I can kind of understand this because the site is absolutely retarded. Pretty much every other sequencer has a comparison chart, the only one to be found at the Cakewalk site compares it to ProTools M-Powered.

Anyway, according to http://arstechnica.com/reviews/apps/sonar-7-studio-edition-review.ars the differences between Studio and Producer (confusing stupid names) is that Producer costs more and comes with more plugins.

As for hardware, the only stuff you need to worry about are:

- good speakers (not those small 2.1 PC soundsets)

- good soundcard with ASIO (this is not a gaming soundcard like an X-Fi or Xonar)

- good controller keyboard (this is your remote control; it doesn't make sound by itself)

- a sufficiently fast computer.

Hey. We all have to start somewhere, right? :razz:

That's why there's the Guides forum :).

So, answer the following:

- what do you want to make ("remixing" is not a genre, it is making music in general. If it was a genre, everything on this site would sound the same)

- what do you already have

- what are you willing to spend (as an exact number)

- what's your experience

- and maybe "why Sonar", and what have you compared it with and rejected