Question about sound cards and Ableton + Mixer

Hey

I'm a rookie in the dj-ing, but right now, I'm starting on with it.

I bought an Ableton Live, and a Behringer DJX - 700 Mixer.

now, to be able to control 2 or more ableton channels using the behringer mixer, I read I'm going to need an appart audio-interface, like a M-Audio Firewire for example. But that only, costs around 200 Euros.

so, my question is :

if I get myself an appart usb-sound card, and switch it on to my computer, and the use that asio4all driver, would I get the same effect on ableton ? Would I be able to customize those channels ?

thanks in advance wink.gif

Hey

now, to be able to control 2 or more ableton channels using the behringer mixer

You're not controlling anything, actually. There's no USB or MIDI output on the mixer. At most, you're putting channel 1 in Ableton through channel 1 on the mixer, and channel 2 in Ableton through channel 2 on the mixer. The only thing you can do then is control the volume and use the EQ, that's it - but that's not called 'controlling', because this usually implies that moving a physical slider or knob moves a virtual one on the screen.

I read I'm going to need an appart audio-interface, like a M-Audio Firewire for example. But that only, costs around 200 Euros.

You are going to need an audio interface with 2 stereo outputs, and yes, those cost quite a bit.

The only thing I could find below 200 euros was this here: http://www.thomann.de/nl/edirol_ua25_usb_audio.htm

which has one pair of line outputs and one pair of RCA outputs (red/white).

if I get myself an appart usb-sound card, and switch it on to my computer, and the use that asio4all driver, would I get the same effect on ableton ? Would I be able to customize those channels ?

ASIO4All is not going to help, since any decent USB sound card will have ASIO drivers already.

Another option: http://www.thomann.de/nl/maudio_xsession_pro.htm to control the volume of each Ableton channel; then, get a more modest soundcard (do you have a laptop or a desktop? In the latter case, you could get something cheap like an Audiophile 2496 or E-mu 0404) with a single output, put that on channel 1 of the DJX700. Put your CD-players or turntables on channels 2 and 3, and you can now control everything.