n00b question

zoldos

hi im really new to fruity loops but i have a simple question

i really like the sound of the silver saw in sytrus, but it holds the note very long

how do i make it so the note only lasts like a second?

thanks for ur help

hopefully ill learn more thru this

First things first, try to use proper punctuation, grammar and capitalization in your post, if you do otherwise it creates part of the stereotype that us nerds have been fighting against for so long. Also, if you can't take the time to make a post properly, why should we take the time to help you. But all in all, that post wasn't horrible, so lets get started.

Next order of business; do you own FL Studio, and if so, do you own Sytrus? Sytrus comes with FL Studio in a fully functional demo version, so if you're unsure about whether you own it or not, you probably don't (especially considering that you said you were new to FL Studio). Be aware that if it is the demo version, then you cannot save it in any projects so if that ruins your plan you might want to choose a different synthesizer right now.

Next, if you're planning on learning how to use a synthesizer to create a sound or edit presets, Sytrus is not the place to start, Try 3xOsc or Synth1. Lastly, since this sound actually only does play for as long as you hit a key, you're obviously using the step sequencer like ichijou said. The step sequencer in FL Studio, while rather powerful for drums and samples, is not meant for melody. Right click on the channel (the big colored box before the lights on the sequencer) and choose "Piano Roll". It will take you a while to learn it, but it's infinitely better than composing with the step sequencer.