It's Not About Great Britain, Its about Great Butter (Selling out?)

Meteo Xavier

Some have probably seen this already, but for those who haven't, here goes.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/oct/01/advertising.television

Basically, its John Lydon of the Sex Pistols in a mildly funny commercial about butter.

One comment stuck out to me, which I felt I wanna address (ironically mostly a quotation itself).

charlieR

Oct 01 08, 1:01pm

"Bill Hicks summed it up best: "Here's the deal, folks. You do a commercial -you're off the artistic roll call, forever. End of story. Okay? You're another whore at the captialist gang bang and if you do a commercial, there's a price on your head. Everything you say is suspect and every word that comes out of your mouth is now like a turd falling into my drink."

John, while I'm sure you don't care what I think, I now no longer care what you think." - 15 recommendations.

.....Artistic roll call? What the fuck kinda pretentious item is that? Since I'm asking, what exactly is Bill Hicks' problem anyway and why is it being regurgitated and recommended? I thought the point of artistic integrity was being able to confidently do whatever you wanted to do, not to be used a measure of how much you'll suck the dick of the jaded underground. John Lydon made a career about doing what he wanted, why couldn't he do a mildly funny butter commercial if he wanted?

I guess I'm questioning the hardcore or fanboy mentality as a whole. In recent months, especially as people bitch about how Nintendo is "abandoning their core audience", I've been exploring the mentality more and more. I find it a dangerous form of fandom. When you're "hardcore" like CharlieR up there, its no longer about respecting the image of something, its about the image you've built up about something. The image has provided you years and years and years of heartfelt entertainment and somehow they still owe you.

Case in point; Nintendo again. Nintendo's finally back on top. After fighting an uphill battle against that cheeky Ken Kutaragi for over a decade, the clouds open up and Hallejulah, Nintendo's kicking ass all over the planet again. And how do we, Nintendo's loyalist of followers, thank God for this blessing? By bitching about the software. Yeah, there's a lot of shovelware. Is this new? Nintendo, for their last troubled decade+, still delivered how many awesome Marios and Zeldas and Metroids and Smash Brothers and will continue to do so for years to come.

So, no, this isn't Nintendo or John Lydon losing credibility, this is simply justice at work. They were awesome for years, why not they should get rewarded for it? Real fans would be proud at their success and cheer them on, not rant into the paranoid delusion of their hero shitting in their face. I mean, damn..... its a butter commercial for God's sakes.

Here's my commercial tagline: "Don't kiss the ass that feeds you"