Mixing Methods?

Hey, I'm a little new to remixing and so I wonder...

How do you remix?

Do you use Slicex to remix?

Do you have to be a DJ?

Do you have to play an instrument?

People say my remixes sound too much like the original. Here are my remixes http://www.youtube.com/gunnchief

How do I make my remixes sound.. Different? Kind of like MaxieDaMan, if you guys have heard of him, his remixes sound a lot different than the original. His:http://www.youtube.com/maxiedaman

I would like to work to this level, but what do I do to remix? :banghead:

Hey, I'm a little new to remixing and so I wonder...

How do you remix?

Get the thought out of your head that makes you think remixing is different from just making music.

Do you use Slicex to remix?

No, Ableton Live.

Do you have to be a DJ?

What does DJing have to do with it? Those folks just play other people's records.

Do you have to play an instrument?

It helps tremendously.

How do I make my remixes sound.. Different?

Change melody or orchestration. If you carbon-copy the melody, of course it's going to sound the same. If you use similar instruments, of course it's going to sound the same. If you use the same genre of music, of course it's going to sound the same.

if you guys have heard of him, his remixes sound a lot different than the original. His:http://www.youtube.com/maxiedaman

It's too bad Youtube (or overzealous compression) completely ruins the sound quality :(.

I would like to work to this level, but what do I do to remix? :banghead:

If you don't see a way out, why not just try to imitate stuff you admire completely so you can understand what goes into it?

Get the thought out of your head that makes you think remixing is different from just making music.

No, Ableton Live.

What does DJing have to do with it? Those folks just play other people's records.

It helps tremendously.

Change melody or orchestration. If you carbon-copy the melody, of course it's going to sound the same. If you use similar instruments, of course it's going to sound the same. If you use the same genre of music, of course it's going to sound the same.

It's too bad Youtube (or overzealous compression) completely ruins the sound quality :(.

If you don't see a way out, why not just try to imitate stuff you admire completely so you can understand what goes into it?

You mean replay on keyboard? I don't have one, but FLStudio has a type keyboard to midi feature though, so I should try

You mean replay on keyboard?

Yes. Play slower, play in a different rhythm - when you're not depending on the original MIDI files but on your ears and memory on a full-sized keyboard, you'll see that it's far easier to bring variation in the pieces.

I don't have one, but FLStudio has a type keyboard to midi feature though, so I should try

While any instrument will do for reinterpreting an existing piece, a piano keyboard covers the most range and integrates in the easiest way with your computer.