Chrono Trigger: Hoppin' Mountain (A newb Attempt)

MasterSaji

Been a big fan of video game remix for a long time now, but I've never really tried to make any before. Of course I also have no knowledge of remixing anything (hence the title) and I've played around with FL Studio and Audition prior to this, but this would have to be my 2nd attempt at a game remix, the first one we'll just not talk about. Anyway, I'd love any and all feedback if you got any, maybe I can figure out how to better arrange music :P

hoppin mountain v1

~Saji

Just to start, take all I have here to say as helpful critique.

So, the main issue would be, umm, do you know any music theory? I dunno if you purposefully misplaced the notes or if it is lack of musical understanding. Even without musical knowledge, if something doesnt sound right, just keep trying to make it sound right. Listen to the original and compare it to your workif you were going for the same melody. It wil help you find the differences. It is, actually, an interesting arrangement, none-the-less, but it still is, for lack of a better word, ackward to listen to. Quite ackward.

I'll add some actual production advice. The song needs, generally, a better flow or transition from one part to the next. If this song could be compared to visual art, it would be collage. It seems like a cut and paste from one part to the next, with very abrupt changes. Also, there isn't really any bass line. Having a lower key instrument play the same notes as the melody cant really cut it. The drums are simply repetetive. Lets just say the list goes on.

On a side, the ending whistling sound is generally unnecessary.

As you said it yourself, this is quite the newb production here. But don't let any of what I said turn you away from remixing. It is hard and even somewhat frustrating to start, but once you get good (which is very far down the road.. even for me) you will be able to make just about anything that comes to mind. Alot of practice is required. ALOT.

Anyways, to end, piano lessons are really good for learning music. If you can't get around to such, just look around the internet. Might/should be able to find some helpful information out there. Good luck, muhboy!:-P

I took some music theory class in my junior year in high school 4 years ago, forgot everything I tried to learn from there, so I may have to take a refresher course of some sort. And I get what you're saying, especially about the cut and paste part which was me being lazy and not checking the export settings in FL Studio (it was set to cut remainder). But I'll see what I can change, hopefully the next version will have better flow, though I can't promise less awkwardness :)

~Saji