Live Cover Submission Clarification

mavstar

Hey everybody,

I am planning to start a band this summer that covers video game songs. I am planning on focusing mostly on individual songs, except for possibly a Double Dragon montage and a Zelda montage.

1- Would a Zelda montage be considered a single song rather than a compilation for submission purposes? I'm thinking something along the lines of Mike Tyson's Punchout! by the Minibosses. Would it also have to be music from only a single game? (could I tap into both Zelda I and ALttP for example)

2- Is it alright if the only changes from the original are instrumentation (live, most likely clarinet, keyboard, guitar, bass drums) and semi-original drum parts (live), with the exception of adding appropriate parts to songs that are (originally) sparse/minimalistic?

Thanks in advance. I am new here so let me know if I am posting this in the wrong place.

1. We always pick one game to be the 'primary' game being remixed, but we're OK with medleys. We're also OK with using multiple games. However, generally speaking, there is a massive tendency to be 'coverish' and fall well below our arrangement standards when you remix many sources in a single song.

2. We'd have to hear it, but what you're describing sounds generally like a cover to me, and we definitely prefer more arrangement than that. For an example of about where our tolerance is for arrangement, check out Sukotto42's Mega Man 3 mix, "Blue Balls". Anything more conservative than that and it would very likely NOT pass.