Shining Force - Koutekishu [Battle 3 (Mid Boss)]

imperfectepoch

I had the first minute of this song finished 10 months ago and tonight I had a sudden burst of creative and attempted to "finish" a working version of the remix. This is one of the battle tunes from Shining Force for the Sega Genesis with a few classical themes mixed in. I know that there is a complete lack of percussion in the electronic portions of the remix, but that's the main reason I'm posting right now. Not only do I look for suggestions, but I'm also wondering if anyone listening to this would care to collaborate on the project since I'm not the best percussion-line writer (I've played a lot of classical music in the past so I'm often lost when I have to deal with a drum kit). Again, I just worked on getting to the end of a first version of the remix and don't expect it to be considered too exciting just yet, but I'm interested in hearing what others think since I've never posted anything in the forums until tonight. Thanks for your interest!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/exyw2ngwttm/Shining Force Remix Beta 1.mp3

EDIT: Here's the best version of the source that I could find -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2775RTCCxU

First off, I'm very happy to see some Shining Force mixage! I'm more of a fan of the second game, but I do remember this source tune.

Interesting mix of synths and acoustic instruments. Production-wise this is certainly in the early stages, but you have good arrangement ideas going. My main crit would be with the structure at this point - there seems to be a lot of repetition, repeating the same parts verbatim as the piece progresses. You may have plans to make them different from each other with production and sounds later on, but I think this might be a good stage to make sure that the piece progresses fluidly and has enough variation on the arrangement level. It feels a bit long right now, don't be afraid to cut sections either. :)

I'm not a huge fan of the classical quotes, at least the one that I can recognize. Well, more precicely, I don't like the quote at 2:01-2:06, but later on the same thing is used more subtly, with variation and I assume it's mixed with the source - that is alright with me.

I really like the busy start-stop harpsichord and slow oboe towards the end.

Mmm, lovely source.

--Eino

I had the first minute of this song finished 10 months ago and tonight I had a sudden burst of creative and attempted to "finish" a working version of the remix. This is one of the battle tunes from Shining Force for the Sega Genesis with a few classical themes mixed in. I know that there is a complete lack of percussion in the electronic portions of the remix, but that's the main reason I'm posting right now. Not only do I look for suggestions, but I'm also wondering if anyone listening to this would care to collaborate on the project since I'm not the best percussion-line writer (I've played a lot of classical music in the past so I'm often lost when I have to deal with a drum kit). Again, I just worked on getting to the end of a first version of the remix and don't expect it to be considered too exciting just yet, but I'm interested in hearing what others think since I've never posted anything in the forums until tonight. Thanks for your interest!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/exyw2ngwttm/Shining Force Remix Beta 1.mp3

EDIT: Here's the best version of the source that I could find -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2775RTCCxU

Why is that part at 2:09 so familiar?!

Also, acoustic instruments need some reverb. They're dry. Like the flute, sounds like every note is the same velocity, no release, etc.