*NO* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'Calling the Water'

Palpable

AmR ][

Aaron M. Rigby

The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time

Serenade of Water

(System/Game already data based)

(Song Archive URL- N/A)

Hello OC Remix! I can't believe there is a site out there for this stuff!!! I've been doing this for years and thought I was the only one who did this with Video Game Music. I've been arranging VGM since 1996 when I first started sequencing on my PC using an old app called MIDI Studio 4 (Windows 3.1). I've been a hardcore gamer all my life, used to get in trouble in grade school for reading my NES game instruction/guides in class. I made an arrangement of Serenade of Water because I felt it would be challenging as a arranger/producer/engineer to turn those 6-7 note melodies into an approx. 3:30min songs. I started on serenade because it is my personal favorite from The Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time, though I am a fan of Requiem of Spirit in terms of the "warp type" songs. I have plans to rearrange all the warp songs from Ocarina of Time. This session was created using Logic Pro 7.2 & mixed using ProTools 7.3.

--

rig1015

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/download_file/12209 - (63) "Serenade of Water"

An expansive take for such a short source tune. It slows the piece down to a glacial pace, adding some pads for a lush atmosphere and short original sections that piece together well. I'm definitely liking what you did here, Aaron, but I thought it needed to change more. Those falling arpeggios get used so much - by the end of the song, I've heard them too much. It's difficult with a source tune this short because you do want to keep a tie to the original, but you also can't repeat too much. I like the addition of elements as the song progresses, but because you keep intact what you're already done, it gets a little stagnant. I might suggest switching between using the melody and the arpeggios as your tie for some variety.

Production was nice, not much to say there. If you can make this more varied, I could see it passing.

NO (resubmit)

I'm definitely feeling this, and props for taking an 18 second song and really squeezing a lot of goodness out of it, but I agree that it does get a little repetitive.

I guess that is part of it's charm, as I definitely feel lulled into a sortof trance listening to it, and it has a distinctly timeless feel to it, but it feels that once you get the song built up, it stays on autopilot for the remainder of the track.

I think the best way to remedy this without destroying the mood you've set up would be to add a few breaks where you had a deceptive cadence change up the chord structure for a moment, held the note, and then went back into the main melody would be enough for me to really feel that some sort of progression was occurring in the arrangement. Anything, really to change things up and add a little bit of differentiation to the structure.

Production was solid and sequencing was pretty natural, no issues there at all. Overall this is super close, it just hits autopilot.

no, resub

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have to echo my fellow judges here. The piece just gets very repetitive throughout, it lacks variation in both texture, melody and harmony. It's a short source so it will be hard to squeeze a lot out of it but this isn't varied or interpretive enough right now.

Production's good but a little cluttered with all the sweeping, spacious sounds. You could afford to introduce some new sounds that are a bit "cleaner" both for variation's sake and to switch focus to something less airy.

This shows promise but needs more variation to really shine. Right now it drags a bit too much. You'll get there though! Good first sub,

NO(resubmit)