Name: Keneticshark

UserID: 29063

Submission Information

Name of game: Kirby Superstar (SNES)

Name of original song: Milkyway Wishes

Composer: Jun Ishikawa

My submission, "Wish Upon A Star" , under 6 mbs and at 128 kbps :

Thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was definitely pleasant-sounding and I liked the changes to the source parts in the second half, but this had a few things holding it back for me. Some of the sections are held too long without change. 1:41 is too long for that intro, when so little is going on and almost all of it is pulled from the source, to boot. Some of the patterns used in the second half also wear out their welcome, though with the addition and subtraction of instruments, it's not as bad.

The other issue I had is that the drums are limp and hold to the same level of playing throughout. There's a general MIDI quality to them, though the fills you add help.

I think this would take some rework to get passed, but it's certainly doable. I liked this as a start.

NO (resubmit)

I agree with Vinnie here that there is an overall pleasant vibe, and some good ideas, but as a whole, I think it needs refinement in both production and arrangement. The ideas you are using are good, but they seem too spread out, where you'd have a complete repetition of the theme (or sometimes two), and then a single element would be added. This makes it feel plodding, and really, a lot of it could be truncated to keep the theme fresher.

Production is a mixed bag- I was feeling some of the synths, despite them being lofi, but as a whole, it needs a bit more zazz. I think soem hifi pads, some effects, and some stronger drums would make this a lot stronger.

It has some potential as an arrangement, but just needs some more work. :-)

no

I'll be short so we can go ahead and close this one out. The instruments left a lot to the imagination, very simple synth sounds used often without finesse. The arrangement is basically repeating the same parts over and over with minor changes in instrumentation and pace. The drums are flimsy and the mix is thin.

Work hard on gluing everything together, getting a "full" sound, and make the arrangement both more varied and interpretive.

NO