*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog 3 'Smooth Ice'

Palpable

DJ Name: parlando22

UID: 24277

Given Tittle: Smooth Ice

Game: Sonic the Hedgehog 3

Song: Ice Cap Zone

Made with FL Studio 8

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://project2612.org/download.php?id=61 - IceCap Zone 1

Made with FL Studio 8
You don't say. (Sorry, cheap shot there, but I'm an FL user too - I'm allowed to make fun of my own kind.) A nicer way to put that is that the song is too repetitive in its usage of patterns. Actually, you've got a pretty nice sounding base (especially that sax, sounds very nice), you just need to alter your patterns more and have more variety in what you're doing. It's not enough to just have 10 nice sounding patterns that you bring in and out. Try swapping the drums for something using the ride cymbal. Try messing with the bass or piano a little sometime. Try adding a solo on one of the background instruments. There's a lot you could do with this, so do some of that! :-)

NO (resubmit)

Vinnie Prabhu, this fantastic piece of human, hit the nail on the head. Arrangement really needs to be varied a lot more, you can't get away with just adding/removing elements. Change in the patterns, harmony, new melodic lines, counter melodies.. all are things that should be considered. Otherwise the sax sounds pretty hot and the production, although vanilla, was balanced and clean. You really have to kick this up another notch though, sorry man.

NO

Man, I swear, I have such a hard time thinking that any remix of this song is not a joke ever since ReCapitated.

Anyway, this is definitely entry-level quality, the entire song kind of reminds me of oldschool MIDI soundtracks. It reminds me of like, the very very first stuff I ever made in Fruity Loops, before I really even had a clue how to use it. Don't be discouraged, Luke, we all start somewhere, and you can only get better the more you use it. Layering drum patterns, and applying FX creatively is something that will help you in future projects. And it sounds like you're using a simple sample for your bass. Try out a nice synth, any of Image Line's if you've got 'em, if not, try Synth 1, it's free and has some pretty decent presets to get you started. And then learn to experiment with automating different parameters to keep the energy alive. Also, try to create a better ending on future tracks. Can't just let it stop like that, it's like smacking into a brick wall. At the very least, create an automation clip for your master volume and do a fadeout.

Keep at it.

NO