Lurker Returning...

eshman

Well, I've finally decided to give this a go. I recently bought FL Studio 8.0 Fruity Edition and an Axiom 61. I've played around with it as far as opening up some midis and replacing the instruments with mostly defaults that just plain sound better. I do have a background in music somewhat. I was in band from elementary all the way up to high school, so we did cover a bit of theory. Even though it was years ago I still remember a lot of it.

I play mostly by ear just like my father did when I was a kid. He's a musician in Savannah, Ga. He goes by Esh, in case anyone cares to look him up--I don't anymore. However, he did used to let me listen to everything he created to see if I could pick out anything that needed to be fixed. I helped him with gig set-ups when I was little.

Anyway, on to the matter at hand. I really want to get involved in the remixing community. It's always been something that I thought was really cool. I've got a lot of your albums zirc and I have a great appreciation and respect for all you've been able to accomplish--especially the teaching cred! Go you! :) I would just like to know what a good starting place would be. What would you recommend? I've played around with Slayer recently and I just don't seem to be able to get a good sound out of it by playing around with the different knobs and adjusting everything possible on it. I guess I'm just frustrated with it if anything... Please help me get started on the right track! :)

Yes anyone is here. Welcome (back?) to the workshop forum. A couple things, if you haven't already, please check out the Guides and Tutorials forum. Since you seem to admire Zircon, he's actually already given some great advice that is likely to address the questions you just posted for him. Spcecifically:

How do I start remixing? A gear guide for multiple budgets

and Zircon's Remixing Tips Compendium

And now for some advice to get the most out of the workshop forum. In no particular order:

Be as specific as possible. No one can guess what you want, you have to tell us. You mentioned Slayer, but you didn't mention what style of music you might like to take a stab at. You haven't told us if you have a budget for acquiring new software/gear. How would Andy (zircon) or anyone have any idea where to steer you based on what you provided? Sometimes "less is more", but not here :)

Be patient. Sometimes it takes more than a day to get a good answer to your question. Also, as you take your first steps at remixing and then listen to stuff that other people are putting out, it's easy to get overwhelmed and frustrated. We all started out somewhere, and most of our very first work from early on was pretty crappy, even Zircon's :)

Be optimistic. Kind of ties into being patient, I suppose. Nothing turns off a mentor like hearing their advice be squandered by anyone who feels like getting dramatic just because things aren't always as simple as they'd like them to be.

Now then, specifically, what kind of music do you want to make? What kinds of instruments are you looking for? What's your budget? Only guessing here, but if you've been tinkering with Slayer, I take it you're looking for an electric guitar of some kind? (A decent one, that is, because Slayer generally sucks if you're going for realism).