Haunted Visions - Remix of Ghostly Eyes by ZUN

TokXilChaosZ

Remix - http://xvii.up2share.com/music/Ghostly-WIP.mp3

Original - http://robbi-985.homeip.net:8000/F_s_t_v2_copy/Touhou/IN/th08_02.mid

First remix ever, no idea how good it is or what should be improved etc... The theme is loosely based off trance.

I don't think I'll submit this on the very small chance it's even near standards, considering Touhou music doesn't seem to be populus here.

This is pretty good for a first remix. The really wet synths at the beginning really set a good mood for the remix.

The arrangement seems a bit conservative - I haven't really listened in detail to the entire source but the remix seems to reflect very closely the source material. A lot of the strengths of the composition are related to the strong source material (yes, I know what Touhou is and who ZUN is).

I don't have timings with me, but there's a part probably about 1/4 way through the song where the lead seems to get out of sync with the beat. Maybe it's because you didn't quantize everything? May want to look at that.

The song begins to get repetitive at the end after the "B" part, it's as if you ran out of ideas or something. Seems like the ending parts can use more work. If this was a club mix, you'd probably want to break down just to some drums.

Another issue with this song is production. I like the reverb on the lead synth but when the backing synth comes in early into the song, it muddies up the song quite a bit in that mid-to-high frequency range. The instruments start to drown each other out.

The drums sound really dry as well, you might want to compress the kick a bit more and put some effects on the drums to make them sound less weak. The sequencing itself seems quite good, you have a lot of variety in the velocities.

It's a good first remix. I like the overall vibe going on and the atmosphere is great. It's not up to OCR standards though, but there's some cool stuff going on here.