Earthbound - Bed and Breakfast

Robotaki

Hey!

So the midterm rush at McGill is finally over! The weekend was free, so here's a remix on a short little source, "Bed and Breakfast", which plays somewhere at the beginning of the game when Ness is still in his pajamas getting out of bed or something. I think what i have right now is a bit liberal, but the original chord progression is there, and the melody does play here and there throughout the track. I've taken liberties with the time signature and the harmonies in later sections. The track took start from the low frequencies of various chime samples.

I hope I've kept consistent with the feel of Earthbound music because I've tried to throw in as many Earthbound-y things in there like the rock organ from Skyrunner (2:03), the off-pitch sine melodies, that weird ambient portamento sine thing (plays at 0:16), and just the overall soundscape. Drum processing and reverse sampling took the longest this time around.

I've tried to capture that surreal semi-groggy feeling when you wake up on a summer's day after way too much sleep. But once you catch a whiff of breakfast, hallelujah haha. The sine bass is a little loud right now I think so I'll keep playing with it. Enjoy!

SOURCE:

LINK:

Earthbound - Bed and Breakfast

No replies for poor Robotaki yet? :puppyeyes:

I'ma giving this a listen, I'll edit this post in a sec.

EDIT:

My opinion only. (which is what this whole thing'll be :-) )

The ambiance at the beginning is nicely done. It is an interesting source to be sure. I'm playing with the sonic 1 final boss theme now and I gotta say for me it's harder to work with a short source.

There's a brief moment of silence before the vinyl record skip type of sound comes in. I'd rather it jumped right into the scratching.

Some of the high shrills are almost painful in this. Is there a way to take the harshness out of them and still keep the effect? These are the high notes starting at 0:17 and ending at 1:14 they are pretty few and far between, but they're like nails on a chalkboard to me. Not really sure what to think to fix it. My first thought was a high pass filter, but it might kill the sound all together... (Still new to lots of the terms and goodies)

The bass part could stand out a bit more methinks. I didn't really hear it till the 2nd or 3rd time I played through this.

The ending is a teaser ending. It builds like there's going to be something, then stops. I'm mixed on this. On one hand it's fine, but doesn't seem to fit to me as much as a nice smooth ending might. Totally opinion there though.

Good stuff!

Hope this helps.

The bass / kick is KILLING my sub. Might be a bit overboard.

The overall sound is there, but I think it's more of a "I woke up in a field of daisies after a really bad trip"

I look forward to what it's developing into.

NOTE: When listening to this on a pseudo-surround system, it makes me dizzy.

I thought this was pretty awesome. I love the source and think you did a sexy job of spicing it up here. I concur on the shrilling highs, but I should think it's a fine line between shrilliness and glitter so dont hack them down too much

I hoped this song could go on for longer. I think where it ends, it feels like it the beat should come back in and be more intense... but then it just kind of peters out.

I don't think the bass is too much at all, and if it's killing any subs, certainly those subs are not calibrated properly.

Only thing I would change other than the length is to just soak some of those intro samples up a bit. I know you are going for a minimal intro but it just feels like the records skips are a bit crusty compared to the dipped in acidness of the rest of the track.

good work overall, very chillax and perfectly weird!