*NO* Pokémon Red Version 'What? Motive Is Evolving!'

Palpable

ReMixer name: BonzaiRob

Userid: 16200

I've followed OCR for a few years now, mostly sticking to mixes from games I know. I submitted a few that were, admittedly, terrible, when I was in high school. I'm not sure whether this one will make it through the judging, given the source material, but I'm hopeful.

This mix is based on the evolution music/jingle/hypnotism from the Pokémon games. I've always had high hopes for Pokémon remixes on OCR, being a fan, but the general opinion seems to be that the majority of Pokémon music just isn't that great to start with. I concede the point.

However, a lot of the music back on the Game Boy was, out of necessity, pretty minimalistic. And then today, or some reason, I suddenly remembered, that minimalism is (surprise) a genre of music. And it often has marimbas.

So, anyway, here it is. I couldn't resist the ending, unfortunately.

Thanks,

BonzaiRob

-------------------------------------------------------------

This has got a Philip Glass thing going on, but at the expense of the source. I totally lost the source under the layers of new melody. I also think it was a little random and the layers didn't always complement. On that basis, I'd have to say NO. It was an interesting approach to arranging this song but it'd be difficult to keep the focus on source and expand it within the parameters of this song.

NO

Dare I say that this source tune by itself is pretty definitely un-remixable by our standards?

Yeah, it is.

Cool track, but I mean, there's just no way to identify your 6 minute track as being based solely off a 6 second loop... I'm not saying that I didn't hear the connection, but it's like, honestly, some games just have little stingers, or audio loops to fill out very very brief sections of the game, and they're not exactly intended to be much more than that, stingers or fillers. Just not really meant to bear any melody or distinct characteristics that really lend themselves to remixing.

It's a VERY cool song, and I enjoyed it a ton, I'm afraid it just isn't passable by our guidelines, much like an awesomely executed cover track also isn't accepted here. Bummer...

:(

Otherwise, I definitely hope to hear more submissions from you in the future Robin!!

The main issue here is that the source gets completely lost in your otherwise quite cool minimalist track. I mean I like Steve Reich as much as the next guy (no, actually way more) but this style coupled with this source tune hardly qualifies as an arrangement by our standards. Also the way you handled the harmonies and evolution of the motif could've been a bit more sophisticated and cohesive.

Beyond that some of the samples used were a bit underwhelming, the sitar, flute and.. was it a celeste? I can't tell. But yeah, while I very much love the effort to make a minimalist arrangement (I've planned on doing that for years) you just have to take everything one step further to make it work as an arrangement. Above all, this source tune is just not cut out to be arranged :) I do hope you submit more in the future though since you're one of few enlightened ones who think minimalism is just awesome. Keep it up!

NO