WIP - Spanky's Quest... Underground SNES game! :D

DaMonz

Hey there!

I've been hanging around this site for a long time (not long after the site's foundation), and I decided to try making my own stuff too. I'm not too confident though, as I'm heading a bit blindly into the world of remixing... So this is the beginning of my first attempt. This is extremely raw material (no effects yet, no reverb, song note done... you know, RAW material) and I'd like to have some feedback to redirect me if what I'm doing is totally wrong. I thank you all in advance :)

Here's the original song composed by Hiroyuki Iwatsuki: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9G1m8RCsg4&feature=PlayList&p=0D9F9C8FCD663B98&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=3

Here's my little starting stuff: http://www.tindeck.com/listen/mlyx

Thanks again!

Y helo thar. Welcome to the boards!

I would say one of the most critical parts of a ReMix is not being too conservative, a.k.a, following the source too much. While this is raw like you stated and creating a good template to start from is essential, I would see what steps you can take to vary from the source. Too be honest, I would say your song is even MORE conservative than the original, with the exception of a few small rhythm, note, and sound choices. If you're going to go with a slower tempo/groove than the original, it seems you will need to be even more creative because the source is very "exposed" and easy to pick out and follow along with. Especially being that the bass and lead from your song are very close to the original in timbre and melody.

When the stabbing, fast attack, slow release pad comes in, I would say that's a better start for your ReMix as it sounds more on the rearrangement/creative side of things. The beginning is very drawn out, with the bass all along by itself for several measures.

ALSO, because you are already aware of the raw nature of your piece, you can probably already tell that the sounds are kind of generic. Now, there is a difference between "generic" and "simple" sounds. Simple sounds, such as chiptunes and simple waveforms, can be used in very creative ways (look at halc!) but generic sounds resemble presets and have a very common sound to them. Nothing wrong with starting out with generic sounds to plan out your arrangement if it keeps you motivated, but be sure to introduce some creative sounds/processing/control if you don't have quality samples.

Dont give up! If it takes staying close to the source to just get used to making music, then by all means go for it. I personally, though kept to myself, did several remakes of Silent Hill music :P

Great catch on the original song though, reminds me of much simpler times as a youngun.

Thank you very much for all your advice!

I'll keep everything you told me in mind when I start over the making of my remix.

This time, I'll try again differently. I'll try being more original, because with your feedback, it is now evident to me that I have simply copied the song's melody and bass.

Thank you very much! I'll eventually post an update of my work. :)

See you then!