DJSoto13 - Song of Storms (aka Windmill Hut)

DJSoto13

Hey, OCRemix :) I'm sitting here and I threw this together after scrapping something I had been working on. It's my first attempt at remixing anything, really, so... I tried to just go basic with Ocarina of Time's Windmill Hut (or Song of Storms) theme (with Ice Cavern at the beginning). After 2:57, it's just a loop of the main rhythm (so you can stop listening then haha) and I was wondering if I should put a solo on top of that (probably will).

So what do you guys think? Any instruments feel out of place, anything feel like it should be there and isn't?

Thanks, OCR, I hope to get some helpful criticism haha

Download link - http://www.mediafire.com/?n5mjnmmhrnn

Blimey 40MB! Convert it to an MP3 and use tindeck next time lol :-P

I thought the intro was waaay too long, and felt a bit disconnected from the rest; the first piano (around 1:10-1:30) sounded a bit weird and out-of-place too. Maybe use the same one you're using for the chords afterwards?

Arrangement-wise, I felt it was a bit conservative. You stuck pretty closely to the original - like you said, you could solo over it but try to deviate a bit more from the melody we all aready know. Surprise us ;-)

Overall, I liked the ethereal mood of it (you've got some pretty interesting sounds in there), but it needs to build and go places more: some percussion might help drive it. The ending, too, needs some work; don't just cut the music, bring it to a proper close.

Hope that helped :-)

Okay... So I've taken down the intro (yeah, it was out of place) and replaced it. I then added a bass line and drums, then a rhythm section (piano and guitar) and a lead section (two guitars). I'm fairly happy with the results, although I think it could go a little longer.

What does OCR think :D

stats.png

Okay, so I ran the song through some mastering (lowered the sound levels, tried to add in a few fades, and cleaned it up throughout), yet stayed basically on the same song (didn't really add anything except a reprise of the intro in the middle of the song.

HOWEVER... After converting it to MP3, there's a popping sound in the song (it's not supposed to be there, as you may have guessed). Help?

What software do you use to convert your .wav's to .mp3's? I use the free version of Switch Sound File Converter and thus far remained issue-free.

"I chose the wrong Pokemon!" Yeah, I looked at the download screen and saw that and this other "free mp3 converter". I downloaded the latter, problems ensued. :tomatoface: But now it's doing great. There's the occasional *pop* while it's still in Reason, though. I assume that's because it's too loud? Most likely.

tl;dr (too lazy; didn't read): thank you :)

OKAY. I believe I took care of the volume issue. I definitely got rid of the popping :D (except for one damn pop early on). But I changed the beginning and ends a little bit (made it into a sort of amateur canon), and extended the solos at the end. Do you think it's too much? I think so at one point during the overdrive guitar solo, but...

What do you think of the 4th (and hopefully final) version? :)

Yeah, that's kind of what I was worried about. I was also worried about that second distorted guitar solo (right before the dual-guitar main melody reprise at the end) where the other guitar comes in for a bar or two... but thanks :)