exactly what do I do with a firewire?

I am an absolute noob still when it comes to recording and equipment. So I just got an m box 2 mini from my dad who said it'd help me. My laptop apparently statics terribly when I use my current setup, which is just the sequencer mixcraft and my keyboard.

Anyways I'm assuming that now I can use both protools and/or mixcraft without latency or static? What exactly does the firewire allow me to do? I'm still reading it and trying to get the hang of things but I'm actually not going to touch it till later this week and kinda want to know what to expect.

Rather, you install the drivers for the audio interface, and select it as your audio interface within ProTools.

There are plenty of other causes of latency, even when you have the new audio interface set up correctly. If your computer is slow or you're asking too much of the CPU (too many plugins, plugins that use a lot of CPU) and the audio buffer for your sound card isn't large enough (there should be a control panel for the audio interface to set buffer size), then your computer will be trying to play back audio faster than the audio is produced, which will cause static sounds. Also, other applications that you're running, including services in memory that you didn't explicitly launch, can grab the CPU momentarily which can delay ProTools enough to cause static. I found on my old laptop that having the network or wireless network adapters active could do the same, so I always disabled them when I was doing audio work.