Need OLD Mode Midi

The classification of music as being in one of those modes is based more on finals, reciting tones, and combinations of species of fourths and fifths than scale patterns per se. For the most part, those modes are going to look like white note scales similar to the non-hypo versions but starting a fourth lower -- the "tonic" degree or final is not the lowest note, though. Wikipedia has entries for them. Out of curiosity, why are you interested in them?

EDIT: This may be more clear: the classification of, say, Dorian vs. Hypodorian is basically an issue of melodic range, not scale construction. You really don't need to know anything at all about the distinction unless you're studying plainchant.

i was looking for a mid evil approch but its hard to find an document on it, i saw the wikis and it helped but did not say the notation but no problme, thank tho :)

Yeah, the reason you can't find the type of information you're looking for on the hypo (plagal) modes is that they're not relevant to modern composition.

Plainchant in modern notation looks extremely mundane. This, for example, is the Dies Irae melody, which would probably be classified as Hypodorian because the melodic range extends below the final (which is D). Since there's no reason I can think of that this particular range issue would be of any concern to you, the distinction between Dorian and Hypodorian really shouldn't matter from a compositional standpoint. Probably also worth pointing out, if it isn't already obvious, that the term mode meant some different things back then that aren't implied by the way the term is used today.

If you're looking to emulate the sound of chant, it'll be easiest to use the white-key Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, and Mixolydian modes. The actual modal theory that plainchant uses is fairly complicated and probably isn't worth getting into unless you're doing academic analysis of chant or are just really interested in the music. For compositional purposes, you'll be better off listening to chant and imitating what you hear, or just taking melodies directly from existing chants.

Yeah, the reason you can't find the type of information you're looking for on the hypo (plagal) modes is that they're not relevant to modern composition.

Plainchant in modern notation looks extremely mundane. This, for example, is the Dies Irae melody, which would probably be classified as Hypodorian because the melodic range extends below the final (which is D). Since there's no reason I can think of that this particular range issue would be of any concern to you, the distinction between Dorian and Hypodorian really shouldn't matter from a compositional standpoint. Probably also worth pointing out, if it isn't already obvious, that the term mode meant some different things back then that aren't implied by the way the term is used today.

If you're looking to emulate the sound of chant, it'll be easiest to use the white-key Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, and Mixolydian modes. The actual modal theory that plainchant uses is fairly complicated and probably isn't worth getting into unless you're doing academic analysis of chant or are just really interested in the music. For compositional purposes, you'll be better off listening to chant and imitating what you hear, or just taking melodies directly from existing chants.

ah i see, so its out dated, well i managed to find the scales by a music teacher in our school and.... well he basic said the same that it was out dated because of grim sounding that people actually play with out knowing. :P