Korg MS-20 (iPad version)

Arcana

Hey all, Korg has released an iPad software emulation of its famous MS-20 analog synth.

There is a current deal on its software emulation of an MS-20 on sale for iPad until the end of January ($15.99).

Anyway for those of you that have it (are there any?) I am wondering if anyone knows how to get more varied sounds out of it using only one pattern.

On the Korg DS-10 (which is loosely based on the MS-20) you can route the VCO 1 and VCO 2 independently. Doing so allowed you to patch, for example, VCO 2 to the low-pass filter, and the LFO to control some aspect of VCO 2 (usually the pitch). Set VCO 2 to 0. That ends up allowing you to continually morph the sound on the same pattern, so with one pattern you would be able to end up with a four-bar long "whoosh" or similar.

I'm wondering if any Korg MS-20 pros here can suggest some patches that allow me to use only one pattern bank to do multiple bars of a continually-increasing low-pass filter, or some other similar effect.

You can currently automate it, but that allows you to use only 1 measure worth of automations in the pattern, and when you only have 16 patterns you don't want to waste them on dumb stuff like another whoosh sound.

Anyway, other than that, this is actually a pretty cool app, despite its limitations. It's actually more limited than the DS-10 in some respects (only one synth, no piano roll, not having separate controls for VCO 1 and VCO 2) but other than that it's one of the most solid analog synth programs for the iPad. The synth is monophonic, but you get 6 drum parts (each step can be independently adjusted for pitch and gate) and one synth part. The synth itself is pretty damn hardcore and is extremely complicated, but it's as virtual analog as you can get; the fact that you have multitouch actually makes patching stuff and controlling things in real time a lot of fun and is probably the second best thing to actually having a real MS-20 in front of you. I'm currently noodling around with the app, trying to get a couple of songs composed with it. The patch bay is a real monster still, and I've watched half an hour worth of videos describing how it works and still and learning all kinds of things to do with it.

Anyway, if anyone here has any advanced tips and tricks to share regarding this app (or the Korg MS-20 in general) please let me know, I'm super-interested in getting the most out of this program.