Demo reel guidelines?

Hi everyone, just doing some research. I've received helpful responses elsewhere, but more input cant hurt.

-Should the music being sent out be copyrighted?

-If so what is the best what to go about doing this?

-Should it aim to encompass a range of mood and styles, or can it stick to something more specific?

-Visual elements: Would it be a good thing to have a demo of your music set to a video/animation? How about still frames or concept art?

-What would a rough target length be? Rather, what is "too long"?

-Does it need to be a medley, or can it be a collection of separate tracks?

I think that sums up the bulk of my questions. Thanks!

Should the music being sent out be copyrighted?
From circular 50, at the US government copyright office: "Under the present copyright law, which became effective January 1, 1978, a work is automatically protected by copyright when it is created. A work is created when it is “fixed” in a copy or phonorecord for the first time. Neither registration in the Copyright Office nor publication is required for copyright protection under the law."

I think what you're really asking, is "Should I register the copyright of my music?"

So, should you? That's up to you. Personally, I wouldn't register a tune I composed unless I was fairly sure that I'd use it for commercial purposes. Registering isn't "cheap"... but that's a relative term, I suppose. No sense in throwing cash at a tune you won't be making money off of.

Again from circular 50: "There are, however, certain advantages to registration, including the establishment of a public record of the copyright claim. Copyright registration must generally be made before an infringement suit can be brought. Timely registration may also provide a broader range of remedies in an infringement suit."

-If so what is the best what to go about doing this?
You can register online or through snail mail. Online is both cheaper ($35 vs $50) and much faster processing time (currently 4.5 months or less versus 15 months or less). Just go to copyright.gov and read the site. Start with the FAQ.

As for your next four questions, I'm *not* an expert on this stuff, but here are some of my common sense answers, which might help you out.

-Should it aim to encompass a range of mood and styles, or can it stick to something more specific?
What are you going to use the demo for? If it's for a soundtrack job, you'll probably need to show off your diversity. If it's for a more genre-specific job, narrow the focus. If possible, I would think it's best to ask the person to whom you're sending it, and it helps to know what job you're applying for...
-Visual elements: Would it be a good thing to have a demo of your music set to a video/animation? How about still frames or concept art?
Are you using the demo to showcase your music skills or to showcase your visual art skills? :<
-What would a rough target length be? Rather, what is "too long"?
That really depends on how many sample tracks there are (which depends on the job you're using it to apply for).
-Does it need to be a medley, or can it be a collection of separate tracks?
Separate tracks, unless the demo is really really short (2-3 minutes), and each of the samples is only a small fraction (20 seconds or less) of a full tune. It's generally easier to remember a track number, than to remember a a minute:second time. Put yourself in the recruiter's position, would you want to seek to a sample using fast-forward/rewind, or would you want to just select the track number?

If you're still not sure, make two demos using each way, and then pretend you're the recruiter and pretend you want to hear a certain sample over again, and act accordingly. That way, you should be able to figure out which demo method will better for that particular demo.