The MSSIAH for Commodore 64

If you're like me, you grew up in front of a Commodore 64 playing a lot of video games. I never had an NES back then. So, the sounds that came out of a C64 are what I remember most from my younger days. Ever since I got into synthesizers, I wanted to have those sounds at my finger tips. Sure, there are tons of samples on the internet that were creating using a SID chip but that's just not the same. I wanted the full monty.

I looked into a number of different solutions. I thought about getting a SID Station but those are pretty expensive and they're no longer made. While I'm fairly handy with a solder iron, it seemed like a lot of trouble building a MIDIbox SID or something of the like. I never lost hope at getting that sound, though.

Several weeks ago I came across 8 Bit Ventures (http://www.8bitventures.com) who created the MSSIAH cartridge for the Commodore 64 and I was happy to see that they were still selling them. So, I put in my order and awaited for a package from Sweden and it arrived this week.

If you can land yourself a Commodore 64, the MSSIAH cart is really the easiest way to go to get that SID sound. The interface is fairly intuitive and there are enough options to keep you going for quite a long time. The fact that it has built in MIDI support just puts a huge glob of icing on the cake.

So, you can either use your DAW to send MIDI to the MSSIAH or you can use it's built in sequencer. Either way, you get that dirty nasty sound that is just too awesome to pass up. If you're looking for such a thing, I highly recommend grabbing this cart. C64's are that difficult to find if you don't have one. All you have to do is search Craigslist or Ebay.