*NO* Donkey Kong Country 2 'Thornbrush Thump'

OceansAndrew

Remix Name: Thornbush Thump

Remixer: MtM

Game: Donkey Kong Country 2

Song: Bramble Blast (Stickerbrush Symphony)

Might as well start out with a song pretty much everyone has done, right? Anyways, my roommate has recently been overcome with what can only be described as a full-on addiction to the Super Smash Bros. Brawl version of Bramble Blast. He had been blasting it (pun mostly intended) for a couple days straight, and needless to say it got stuck in my head pretty hard... My insomnia was acting up as well, and the combination of Bramble Blast stuck in my head and lying in bed trying to get my mind to slow down enough to let me sleep gave birth to the inspiration for this remix. I looked up the original on Youtube, since I've never actually played Donkey Kong Country 2 (I know, I know, I'm a terrible person for it) and drew from both the original DKC2 track as well as the SSBB version. This is the result of that perfect storm of mental... uncontrollableness. Is that a word? It should be.

• 2 weeks later...

doesn't stray too far from the source, but there's a nice level of interpretation going on. the ending was pretty weak. a little more original writing wouldn't hurt, but overall I was feeling okay with the arrangement.

the mix is a little crowded and overcompressed; might wanna tone back that bass some. the reverb or resonance on the bass also makes it sound a little off pitch when it's exposed. the panned synth playing the motif gets a bit distracting. love that pizzacato line though. :)

not too far off, but it needs some more polish.

NO(resub)

I definitely think the compression could stand to come down a bit, it is making the drums feel really wimpy, because everything else is pushed so hard.

I like the overall arrangement, especially some of the chord changes, but feel that the panning synth is too prominent, and steals too much attention when it should be more of a background element.

I think a lot of the elements are in place for this to be a OCR track, but the production issues need to be addressed, and a touch more interpretation wouldn't hurt (though i'd probably still vote YES on this if just the production fixes were made). Regardless, I hope you take the time to fix this up a bit and resubmit, I enjoyed it. :-)

No, please resubmit

Oh I really like the harmonic changes here, even though a lot of this has stayed the same. It makes this sound so much happier. I think this could maybe use one more element, but the concept is real cool. The song did have some major problems though, starting with the way-too-loud panned synth, and moving on to the overcompression and overuse of the same patterns. This sounds like you knocked it out pretty quickly, and while it's nice to get your ideas down while you're still inspired, this one could use more attention.

NO (resubmit)