Internet Network Problems-Slow speeds

noTuX

I am experiencing extremely slow internet speeds when trying to download stuff, watch netflix, and use my PS3, Wii, Vonage VoIP, printer, and our laptops on our wireless network, and my PC on the wired connection.

I keep my systems pretty well maintained and trouble-free. So, I don't see how my computers could be causing the problem. Especially since the networking was working perfectly before I switched ISPs.

I've done basic trouble shooting, which include resetting the modem and wireless router, clearing up temp files and cookies from my browsers, cleaning up my system files, de-fragmenting, scanning for viruses, and disconnecting the internet input cable from my surge protector so it just goes directly to the modem. (though, I'm positive thats not causing a problem).

When I go to speedtest.net to check my internet speed from the server recommended by my ISP, the one in New Orleans, it ALWAYS says that I am getting about 15-20 Mbps down, and about 2-5 Mbps up. Ping times range between 15-45 ms. Almost identical results come from the ISP's own speed test site: http://speedtest.no.cox.net/

So, you would think its really decent enough speed to run a small network such as mine, mind you, I don't usually have all of that stuff running on the network at the same time, ever. What I don't understand is this, with that speed they claim I'm getting, why do my downloads take so long to complete? Average download speed from any site/server is around 350Kbps on my desktop, that is wired to the wireless router, and I'm getting dial-up speeds when surfing and downloading on our laptops and viewing Netflix on our gaming systems.

Large files take a looooooooong time to download. It took me about 30 minutes to download a 100MB file. I' haven't had to wait 30 minutes to download shit in a very long time.

But, according to my ISP tech support and their tests results, I am getting the proper speeds that I am paying for.

Now, when I used a server that is actually closer to my home, it tells me that I'm getting about 3-4 Mbps down, and 1-3 Mbps up. This actually seems more like the speed I'm getting, but my ISP insist that that particular server's test results are wrong, and theirs is right.

I can't seem to get them to understand that, despite what their test results say, I am not experiencing that type of speed on my network. If I was, there is absolutely no reason why I should be having such lag problems.

I am having difficulty understanding why though. What is going so wrong between the speed that the modem is supposedly getting, and what my router is actually putting out? Is there an issue on my end, or is there something wrong with the modem they supplied me with? Or, is it the signal itself? Maybe a short in a cable? Or is the router dying? I just don't freaking know anymore!

I've checked everything, piece by piece. I cant understand it. I've never been so stomped by a network issue like this.

I have a tech coming by Saturday, and I want to have a better idea as to what is going on so I can tell him, "Hey, its your shit that's causing the problem!," or at least, know if it is my router.

To add further complication to this:

I just ran the same speed tests through our wireless network on my, and my girlfriend's laptop from the cox New Orleans speed test site. The tests results were dramatically different.

My computer is getting about 4Mbps down, 2 up, and my girl's computer is showing 14 down, 3 up.

This is making me think there's a issue with the router. But when I use my girl's laptop to download something, I once again get the low download speeds I experienced on my PC that's wired to the router.

Now, I'm thinking, "router problem," but when hooking up the cable modem directly to my PC, I still see the good speed test results and experience the same slow downloading speeds again, which makes it seem like there is something wrong with the modem.