Amp = Mic Port = Dangerous?

Here's my situation. I used a male-female converter thing, to plug my amp or keyboard, straight to the mic port. Basically, I plug the amp cord from the headphone input on the amp, to the mic port.

But I'm wondering, is this dangerous? I've read from some places that this can destroy your soundcard or damage your computer or something.

I would suggest having the volume at 0 at all times until you're ready to record or hear the input. When you DO decide you want the input, turn it up very slowly until you get the desired volume level, which shouldn't be too loud for your computer to handle. Just don't be dumb.

EDIT: and when you're done, crank it back down to 0 to avoid confusion upon adjusting the next time around.

Here's my situation. I used a male-female converter thing, to plug my amp or keyboard, straight to the mic port. Basically, I plug the amp cord from the headphone input on the amp, to the mic port.

But I'm wondering, is this dangerous? I've read from some places that this can destroy your soundcard or damage your computer or something.

It can. On top of that, you have no speaker emulation, so the sound won't be as good.

I recommend a POD Studio Pro. You can plug into the instrument input (following what Neblix said about turning the volume up slowly from 0, of course), disable the amp in POD Farm, and choose a speaker setting/mic placement that you like. Bamf, sounds like you're recording your amp's cab using an SM57.