Digital Halloween Fun

Jax Mandrake

I'm sure a topic like this has already found its way onto this forum countless times, but I'm too lazy to look for it.

I was reading an article on NintendoLife regarding some of the more memorable games and moments from said games as they relate to the horror theme. The article mentioned many favourites including the Castlevania and Resident Evil series, Ghouls 'N Ghosts, Eternal Darkness, Maniac Mansion, and makes passing references to Silent Hill and others that haven't been on Nintendo's systems (it is a Nintendo-centric site, after all). Surprisingly, one writer mentioned a bit from Goldeneye 007 that he found scary, and that got me to thinking...

Are there moments in certain games that get your blood moving in the creepy/spooky/eerie/"OMGLETSGETOUTTAHERE" vein, even if the rest of the game is not necessarily a horror genre title? I'm not talking a "By Grid this game is Superman 64 horrible" type of feeling, but one that raises goosebumps in games you enjoy.

I'll provide a couple of examples. First, for me, is the GFS Valhalla from Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. The area gives me a kind of Dead Space vibe, and even though I love the game, I tend to tense up a touch when I explore the Valhalla (which I always leave until after I've collected every item from the four planets).

The other example from me is the Zombie Island of Dr. Ned expansion for Borderlands. Maybe it's the colour palette or the hordes of undead, but I think Gearbox nailed the atmosphere.

Feel free to share.