Acid Synth Modulation?

As I dive deeper into properly learning electronic/beat driven music, one thing I'd love to learn how to do is be able to do that crazy acid synth lead riff that I hear in so many old breakbeat tracks.

This Crystal Method track has probably the best example I can come up with what I want to learn to do:

, between 2:11 and 2:41.

What is it you automate to make it do crazy FX sounding stuff like that? Seems like something's going on in there but I don't have the production cred to figure it out.

Thank you!

Yep; it's also not the traditional acid sound that you often hear. The squelchy, rezzy acid synth comes from an old Roland unit called the TB-303. It's famous for it's filter resonance which is unlike most other analog synths. Of course, many VSTs emulate it, such as Audiorealism Bassline. Synth1 is pretty good for Crystal Method-style acid stuff overall, given that TCM uses Nord Leads extensively, and Synth1 is loosely based on that synth. I suppose what makes the synth line unique is that they're changing the filter cutoff with each note as opposed to doing a smooth line or curve.

But the 303 only has a lowpass filter, not a bandpass filter, and this is clearly a bandpass as Gecko mentioned ;-)

You're right about the cutoff changing per note - it repeats, which suggests a pattern instead of S&H (or a very naive S&H). That means that either the synth has a step sequencer or that the cutoff modulation is automated - and there are a variety of ways for that. Since we're talking about 1997 here it could be the Nord Lead (the first version was from 1995) - and then it's simply a matter of moving the modwheel and linking that to the cutoff.

I suppose what makes the synth line unique is that they're changing the filter cutoff with each note as opposed to doing a smooth line or curve.

This is easily replicated in Synth1 by making a filter LFO and picking the random waveform, then have it retrigger on every key. Alternatively if you need more control you just tie the filter to velocity.

But the 303 only has a lowpass filter, not a bandpass filter, and this is clearly a bandpass as Gecko mentioned ;-)

You're right about the cutoff changing per note - it repeats, which suggests a pattern instead of S&H (or a very naive S&H). That means that either the synth has a step sequencer or that the cutoff modulation is automated - and there are a variety of ways for that. Since we're talking about 1997 here it could be the Nord Lead (the first version was from 1995) - and then it's simply a matter of moving the modwheel and linking that to the cutoff.

Yea sorry, I meant that the traditional rezzy/squelchy sound is from a 303, not the sound in the TCM song. I would definitely guess Nord Lead as it's one of their favorite synths.