Anybody working with Melodyne ?

I used it in beta, and it was awesome. I'm pretty sure you can do wav to midi, but I never tried it. It definitely won't separate instruments for you, though. At very least, you could make a midi by hand by looking at the pitch readout. Do keep in mind that you sometimes have to do a bit of tweaking to get the results that you want, so even if you're okay with all the instruments being mashed into one track, it may not be as simple as pressing a button even to get it to that point.

I tried it out for a while using it via a bridge from Sonar. It was an older version, like 2.0 or something.

There was a lot of latency that made it hard to do anything in real time back then, which they very well may have fixed by now.

I saw some videos of what some of the newer versions can do, and it looks like it could be really cool.

I have the single track version of Melodyne (was Melodyne Editor) and it's pretty amazing. Yes, it can export audio to a MIDI file. Granted, this is only going to work out well with an audio file that has a single instrument in it. While it's great at pitch detection, it doesn't have the ability to discern one instrument from another. I can, though, say take a guitar chord and split out into individual notes.

Melodyne is a pretty handy tool to have and it's more than just for pitch correction. To be honest, though, I often forget that I have it and I don't use it all that often. It's just one of those things I keep in my arsenal.

My colleague told me he could separate the instruments and have them sound individually (but I was very sceptical).

You can do this to some extent, since you can delete notes and move them around. But the software won't do it for you because it can't distinguish between instruments (unless there have been major advances since I used the software). It's a matter of figuring out for yourself which notes belong to which instruments and then deleting the notes that you don't want.