noob's original

notMe

Bro. I'm gonna keep it short. I'm gonna keep it real. You said you're new at this computer stuff right?

Let me lay it out to you like this - in terms of sound quality, production and such, it does reflect you being new. But that's alright - you'll learn as you keep going. As far as arrangement, melody, chord progression etc., bro, I'm liking this man. Sounds like you know some theory, harmony, etc. and basically how to write a song. I commend you for this. Keep it up man, you've just entered the mystical world of music production :)

EDIT: ah shit... cant leave your empty handed... ummm.. tips tips.. tips.. let's see. OK, this may not be the answer you're looking for, and it may seem too general, but honestly, practice makes perfect. Keep working on music each day, even if you only have 20 minutes before you go have to go to your sisters softball game. I don't care, just make time to keep working at music, watch tutorials, read books or check out forums for tips and tricks. Eventually you'll just end up being this boss of a musician and you'll have to warn everyone not to wear socks when they listen to your tunes cuz you'll knock em right off. Results may vary.

Cheers,

~Syllix

There's a whole lot of good stuff going on here. I'm only listening on laptop's internal speakers so can't comment on production too much. Seemed like at the start you didn't have much hi or low end in your synths so they sounded a bit lo-fi, not sure if that was your intention or not. The lead that comes in sounded good - a bit too loud over the synths + drums in the background though, imo. Everything felt fuller when you came in with that evolving/glitchy kinda keyboard accompaniment. I was liking it from here onwards - there were some really interesting harmonic things going on there changing around the melody - really enjoyed that. I guess it feels like some of the changes are a little random - like after that you cut everything out and then put an arpeggio of a set of different chords in and start up almost from the beginning again. I like what comes next but it didn't feel like a great transition for me. Sometimes the lead feels a little unaccompanied. Think about including more very background unobtrusive layers just to beef the song up. I was big fan of the final section, which i guess brought everything together again. Sounds very Uematsu (specially with some of those arps). This is really solid though - i must admit, the song (for me) gets better and better - the start seemed a bit weak and there seems parts which just aren't full enough.

Good work though.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a total noob to the world of music so I can't give much technical crticism. I shall try anyways though. There is a nice fluidity during the transitions between the track's various motives, however there is a bit of a lack in consistency in the overall melody. Following through a stream of thought.. The piece isn't necessarily a theme but an exposition.. A nice exposition to your potential as a musician? Try accomplished! I'll be on my way now.

I like it, It's a coherent, fluid piece. I don't often hear that from early compositions. It shows that you've taken or at least know some musical theory. Props!

Although...

The beat gets a little jumpy, even for a progressive song such as this. Try and keep those kicks simple; it'll take ya farther!

I can't say much in the ways of EQ because I'm currently listening to this on my laptop, but the grainy frequency at the beginning wasn't too bad, it just needed some tweaking. Nice use of Oscillators; I often use them. Try to create different sounds with them though, a default noise is very obvious and can be easily picked out.

Really experiment before you dive into a song. One thing I like to do before I start a tune is listen and take reference to how songs of the aspired genre sound and think of how I can use them together.

Overall, I like it. Very catchy. Keep going.