Piece by Piece (minimalism) TIGSource Challenge

Calum

PIECE BY PIECE

Here's a piece I finished for the TIGSource musical composition challenge - detective - finding clues - etc!

I took the idea of piecing together different clues to find the answer as a compositional game/process. It immediately reminded me of minimalist processes so I kinda sought to make a big minimalist piece that was sort of a detective game. I went about treating each note as a clue and creating different chords out of it slowly, shifting them along, seeing what fits together and what (musical) deductions (chords) one can make. The first section is quite polyrhythmic and shifts into more dissonant chords before finding it's footing with a more consonant chord (one suspect, perhaps!), then after several suspects were made there is a moment in the middle where they all play unison and this is the realisation of the culprit! This is followed by the chord sequence played more locked together and celebratory and the detective thinks about the clues in light of the culprit he has now found - no more dissonances... the piece ends with a repetition of the culprit found unison section.