Orchestral - Trailer and Action

Dissidia

Trailer:

Tambourines sound too dry - the strings + organ sound like they're in a church but the tambourines sound like they're in a sound-proofed studio - they could do with some reverb. The Organ is a little overbearing.

Very nice at 1:15! I like this moment. Maybe think about having more high-end. Right now the organ is dominating, bringing up the volume of the mid-low. The very end is a little strange - maybe the timings are just a little off - it sounds like the hit comes just after the final beat? The main cymbal sounds a little dry as well and sounds like a drum kit cymbal.

Action:

The levels are a little out - the melody instrument (violins?) is way too loud and the drums & accompanying instruments are way too quiet. The big run at 0:14 and 0:22, while it sounds great it's a little too loud so it sounds unrealistic. The melody trails off around 0:35 - it doesn't sound like you know what the melody is here and you're just moving around aimlessly. Also the articulation on the trumpets seems a little weird - they're crescendoing and stopping really quickly - try a more sustained patch or longer crescendo. Very nice drum sequencing at the end and throughout really but the drums are way too quiet and the melody is way too loud.

Good job overall - the samples sound good but the way you mix and sequence them gives them away at times. The main error is balance here.

theshaggyfreak - Thanks I'll respond to the comments when I do changes to the other song later today.

Beldegren0x - Why thank you!

For Trailer - Kontakt 5 stock sounds.

For Action - Spitfire Albion.

Calum - I greatly appreciate the tips, I tried to do the changes as good as I can. So please listen again I updated the song in the link http://soundcloud.com/williamthurin/what-am-i-fighting-for

I'll do update on the other song later today when I come back from training.

The Balance is better now. Maybe i'm crazy but it sounds like the drums are panned to the right a little bit too much - might just be me.

The whole thing sounds a lot better now - there's still something up with the whole mix but i can't quite work out what it is - it may just be the samples, hmm... either way, nice speedy fix - it made a lot of difference!

Some of the hits are panned right and some left in the percussion. But overall the percussion stays centered. Just that the right pan hits are very noticable.

I think it might be the microphone positions but I'm not sure (since it's the default microphone only). I just got my hands on this library so I haven't figured everything out yet.

Thanks again Calum!

After eating I'll do the other song.

I tried opening the project over and over but no go. I packed it with too many instruments, I just don't understand why I can't open it now (nothing has changed afaik). Need more RAM :I

I'll do the changes in my head it's good for practice -

Organ: I wasn't sure how much I should tone it down.

Tamb: it's part of the orchestral percussion, is there a way to give an effect to midi parts in Kontakt 5? Or I could use reverb but cut off the low-end.

1:15: I think I could've had another instrument high up there, possibly woodwind.

End: yeah the last hit/cymbal could be sooner to mark the ending. The cymbal is also part of the orchestral percussion so it could use some reverb as well since it's grouped i didn't want to pack reverb on it with the low-end, but I'll think about that in the future to seperate reverb for highs.

Lots of text :0

Ahh! I'm hopeless with Kontakt but i assume if you have one track for tambourine...? or are all of your orchestral percussion parts on one track? I'd suggest doing them on different tracks (although that may lead to RAM issues) purely for control - you probably won't want to EQ the tamb exactly the same way you want to EQ the cymbal etc!

I've had tracks just close on me forever - the only way i got back is by opening up one of the autosaves and working back up from there. Sometimes files just kinda mess up like that! it's very annoying though.

If you can manage to open it to make the changes i'll definitely give it a listen.