beginning recording equipment

Hey all- I'm wanting to get into some recording stuff- does anyone have any recommendations for mics if I'm going to be doing some more acoustic stuff (so far a double bass, hand perc, cajon, hammered dulcimer, will expand more later). budget <$150 (hopefully) Thanks in advance!

Oh, and noob question alert- will I need to get a mixer or other stuff, or can I record directly into my computer with mixing software?

You need a cheap condenser mic. 45$ for this Behringer C-1 and you need an audio interface like this PreSonus AudioBox USB (150$) because it has everything you need, including midi ports and they give you a software (Studio One) in which you can do all the mixing. You probably can get these 2 items for under 200$ tax included.

If you're into found sounds at all, I'd recommend the Tascam DR-05 or DR-07. I use it for everything from field recording to guitars to vocals, partly because I still don't own a really good mic :)

Great for getting SFX, fun for podcasts... i dunno, makes you think outside the box and be creative. Maybe this isn't what you're looking for but thought I'd post anyway