Ground Loop Hum

It goes away when I unplug it from the computer. It's still plugged into the wall.

Also, I make sure to unplug everything else in the room when I'm recording to try and minimize interference, so the only thing that's ever plugged in is the computer.

Okay, that sounds to me like it's not a general interference issue, then. If it were, I'd expect there to be hum any time the adapter is active. (This assumes that the adapter still does its adapting while disconnected from the computer -- I'm not certain how it works.) That's also consistent with there still being hum when the guitar is unplugged. I think the powered USB hub is probably your best bet. Maybe see if you can find one somewhere that will take returns if it doesn't fix the problem. Or ask around and see if any of your friends happen to have one you can borrow -- it's a fairly common accessory for laptop owners.

Okay, that sounds to me like it's not a general interference issue, then. If it were, I'd expect there to be hum any time the adapter is active. (This assumes that the adapter still does its adapting while disconnected from the computer -- I'm not certain how it works.) That's also consistent with there still being hum when the guitar is unplugged. I think the powered USB hub is probably your best bet. Maybe see if you can find one somewhere that will take returns if it doesn't fix the problem. Or ask around and see if any of your friends happen to have one you can borrow -- it's a fairly common accessory for laptop owners.

Yeah, I'm definitely leaning toward trying that. Thanks for the help!

I tried the usb hub today and unfortunately it didn't do anything :(.

I guess I'll try and see if I can get hold of a hum eliminator to try it out.

Try recording the hum and do a spectral analysis (audacity can do this) and just look at where the peaks of the hum are. If the peaks are based around 50Hz and 100Hz (or 60Hz and 120Hz for US) then it is a mains hum issue. you could also post the hum, would be easier to diagnose the problem hearing it.