Noob Help

I have this USB-MIDI cable

http://www.emediamusic.com/kik.html

I have this piano keyboard

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/keyboards/digitalkeyboards/portable_keyboards/ypt-310/?mode=model

I'm using Reaper DAW.

I am completely new at attempting to record music so I need precise instruction. I've never connected a keyboard to PC and never used Reaper before.

When I connect the MIDI USB cable, two lights turn on: one light for "in" and a red light without a label. The "out" light does not turn on.

In Reaper, I went to Options -> Preferences -> Audio -> MIDI devices, and enabled everything that appeared in the list as follows:

For the MIDI inputs category : USB 2.0-MIDI

For the MIDI outputs category: Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, USB 2.0-MIDI, and MIDIOUT2 (USB 2.0 MIDI)

Then, I went to Track -> Insert new track -> clicked on Record Armed, and a volume bar appeared. When I play keys on the piano, the volume bar fluctuates. However, when I press the record button and play notes, nothing happens. :(

I need some guidance on how to get started, anything I've done incorrectly so far, and any other useful information.

Thanks in advance.

PS

I also had a microphone plugged in which I use to make Skype telephone calls. Do I need to unplug that before I use Reaper?

I'm not sure you can use MS Synth for a direct play. I don't think you need a MIDI output at all actually. I'd help more but I'm on a laptop sorry..

Try loading a midi instrument (VSTi) ? There's a bunch of free ones on various sites, see the docs in the sticky threads in this section of the forums and tell us how it goes.