Help me find a bass VST similar to one I use but

that doesn't sound so bad.

What I have is everything that can with Ableton Live 8.2.2, as well as a lot of stuff that my brother gave me. I'm not really satisfied with any of it, to be honest.

I've also demoed Trilian, which I think is probably as good as everyone says it is for what it does, but it didn't seem to match my desires.

What I am looking for is basically something "simple" that sounds almost like a recorded bass guitar would, but erm... less guitar-y? And maybe a tad bit electronicish, although not too much. I just want something unobtrusive to fill out the songs, but that sounds pretty good on its own. Right now I use EVM Bassline v1-3 and this is what it sounds like:

In a song:

http://www.negativeworld.org/andrew/music/XXXXXX-full.mp3

By itself:

http://www.negativeworld.org/andrew/music/XXXXXX-bass.mp3

It sounds pretty bad, right? Still, it fits the whole simple and a tad bit electronish thing I'm looking for. So I want something similar, but with a way better sound quality.

Advice can be one of the following...

A. Point me in the direction of a VST that would do the trick.

B. Point me in the direction of how to take what I have and make it sound a lot better, which would also do the trick.

I kind of prefer A, but either way works.

Sounds like you want a pulse wave bass? Or a synth plucky bass in general? No specific synth really "does the trick", but you can learn how to make it on a synth. Just take the time to experiment with your synth and learn about envelopes and waveforms. I still recommend Trilian. Zebra2 is great too, and it's half as expensive.

Edited by timaeus222

Whenever I need a bass synth, the first thing I turn to is a TB-303 Devilfish sample library that I got as a freebie from Soniccouture. You can get some pretty awesome gutteral sorts of bass sounds from it, though it might possibly not be guitar-sounding enough for your purposes. Here's an example of my use of it.

It's available in Kontakt and EXS24 formats, and the site specifically mentions compatibility with Live (through the EXS24 version, I assume). You do have to buy something from Soniccouture to get the freebie, though. Their stuff ranges from around $30 upward.

Also, your example clip made me think of

-- I love it!