Trying to expand my "vocabulary" and looking for recommended starting points

Ravich

Hello everyone. I've been writing music for a while, but up until now, I worked exclusively with EWQL libraries, and written primarily orchestral music.

I'd like to extend beyond my comfort zone for multiple reasons, one of them being that I find EWQL libraries to required so much tweaking that it isnt very ideal for a creative workflow. I have to spend way too much time tweaking minor details in order to get a good sound out of the libraries.

The sounds I'd like to explore range from anything chiptune-esque to the kinds of sounds you'd hear in The Binding of Isaac or Castlevania games.

I cant exactly start by just pouring money into whatever sound library looks me in the eye without knowing where to begin, so I was wondering if anyone could recommend starting places with tools that are on the cheaper side of things or have free trials, or built in software for Logic (which is my DAW).

Dont want to end up rambling, so if there's any particular information you need in order to make recommendations, please do ask. Thanks for your time.

Thanks

I highly recommend Impact Soundworks libraries if you have Kontakt, because they always make and/or publish very detailed, intricate libraries with emphasis on quality and ease-of-use.

u-he Zebra2 is also a fantastic starter synth. Although it costs $200, it is entirely worth the purchase due to its intuitive workflow (only shows you modules you are using, and adds complexity as you desire) and the wide variety of sounds it's capable of producing. I could list a few right now: e. pianos, sitars, funky basses, dark/dirty basses, harps, harpsichords, clavinets, sync leads, sine leads, plucky arps, sound effects, percussive fills,..., and so on. Basically, it does everything and more, and the sound quality that comes from them, with the right sound designer, has phenomenal potential.

Thanks for the pointers. I like sculpture a lot, but the interface makes me want to gouge my eyes out. I suppose I just need to wade my way through tutorials until it makes sense to me.

Any any where most of the sounds are coming from in a track such as this?

I'm most curious about the drums and electric guitar. I wouldnt know where to begin.

Some of the drums are just basic rock drums. Look for a rock kit in Logic's samples.

For some of the softer drum samples in the breakdowns, look for hip hop samples. Maybe try EQ'ing some samples to get the desired

Electric guitar...is well electric guitar? Better look at samples or running synths through guitar amps and distortion for a similar effect.

http://impactsoundworks.com/products/guitar-and-bass/shreddage-2-absolute-electric-guitar/

All of the synths should easily be created using ES2.

Is there already a dedicated "how do I make this sound" thread, or would it be appropriate for me to just ask in this thread?

Like if, for example, I wanted to know how to create the glock sounding instrument from Yuffie's Theme and Interrupted by Fireworks from FFVII (the melody in both).

Hmm. I'm not really knowledgeable enough to know what exactly to do with sf2 files. I am reading that I can put them in my the ESX24 sampler folder for use in logic. Is that correct?

The thing is that I am more interested in learning the properties of the sound and how to create them from scratch, since this is by far the most effective way for me to learn how to make sounds. Simply following tutorials that I have no context for understanding isnt going to do me as much good.

I downloaded a free book called "How to Make a Sound" and the guy recommends a bunch of synthesizers that I dont have. Anyone have any other advice for resources to use for setting out on this adventure?

Also would those files be taken from the FFVII PC version?

Edited by Ravich

Hmm. I'm not really knowledgeable enough to know what exactly to do with sf2 files. I am reading that I can put them in my the ESX24 sampler folder for use in logic. Is that correct?

The thing is that I am more interested in learning the properties of the sound and how to create them from scratch, since this is by far the most effective way for me to learn how to make sounds. Simply following tutorials that I have no context for understanding isnt going to do me as much good.

I downloaded a free book called "How to Make a Sound" and the guy recommends a bunch of synthesizers that I dont have. Anyone have any other advice for resources to use for setting out on this adventure?

Also would those files be taken from the FFVII PC version?

There's no concrete way to make a sound, honestly. You need a generalized tutorial to apply to your own synth, which you then need to take, infer, and make your own sounds to additionally refine your abilities. I'm working on something like that now, actually. It's going to be gigantic.