Saving Earth (Mass Effect)

Kaiyoti

I figured that since I submitted a track for OCRemix for Mass Effect, which, oddly enough, was also my first post here, I should comment on this and see where I can help you out. Here's the link in case you want to hear it:

https://soundcloud.com/djgalvanization/save-the-earth-save-the-galaxy-mass-effect-remix

I'll know more to help you out once I hear back from the judges very soon since they are about to judge it. *wish me luck*

In the meantime, here goes my two cents. I'm no OC expert yet so take it with a grain of salt.

I definitely like the more urgent feel you're going for in this orchestral remix as well as the original subtleties you have near the end and throughout.

I'd work a bit on the delivery of the brass though. It sounds a bit dry. Too dry. Granted, the original Reaper Horn sounds pretty dry too, I think a bit of reverb on the Reaper note would benefit this orchestral remix since the rest of the song has a certain "space" to it. On mine, I sampled it straight from the song and gave it some FX and mods, but that's because it suited my particular mix. I think yours needs a bit more attention to really make it stand out.

I like the orchestral drum rhythms too. I particularly like the end and the intro sends me on a nostalgic trip.

On the string samples, I think they need a longer release so that it sounds more legato. I feel the individual notes fade a bit too quickly. EQ work could be done too, but it sounds pretty good for the most part to me. Hearing in headphones right now so maybe some of it sounds warped to me though.

I definitely enjoyed your theme and its progression overall.

Ooh! A Mass Effect remix! Mass Effect definitely needs more love on OCReMix. The SoundCloud version (https://soundcloud.com/kaiyoti/saving-earth-mass-effect) of your song sounds much better than the Youtube version. I really like how you've channeled the three composers' styles. I love how you did the Reaper sound! My only complaint is that it's pretty short, but aside from that it's awesome! Your song sounds so good it could be mistaken for a song on the ME3 OST. Any chance you'd be willing to post a download link to a wav/flac version of your song?

Thanks @djgalvanization for the feedback.

I honestly debated no giving the reaper sounds a bit more space after reading your comment. The original "Leaving Earth" had way more space giving it a more grandeur sensation. The reason why I debated was that it might make the whole orchestra ensemble feel a bit out of place. My ambition for this piece was to try to model a nice sounding orchestra. My previous works have always included at least 10 analog synthesizers but I held back the urge and only included one. For that reason, I've decided not to make the low brass more wet. But you are right, it's a bit dry, I've tried to reduce the amount of rip and it sounded too muddy, does not do the reaper justice.

@Light_of_Aether,

I'm still constantly making small adjustments to the mix, and Soundcloud is a lot easier to update so the youtube version was draft 1. But I've made the soundcloud available for download as a 192kbps mp3 for now. Once I'm satisfied with a final mix, I'll upload a lossless version.