Sign in to follow this  
Siamey

Offload plugin processing onto second computer using JACK and netJACK2?

Hey everybody, Heath here, it's been a while!

I had the thought earlier that Reason 7's addition of the MIDI Out device might actually have many more implications than just allowing control of hardware synths.

Using a simple VST host like "VST Host", I assume it is possible to functionally use a VST with Reason by routing midi from Reason to the host using LoopBe1 internal midi port software, then pumping audio out of the VST host using JACK or a similar software, back into Reason.

http://www.hermannseib.com/english/vsthost.htm

Then I started thinking about Midi-over-ethernet and audio-over-ethernet.

Apparently JACK and its associated modules/extensions can do a fair amount of this routing.

So, I could have a primary sequencer computer with Reason on it, with a bunch of MIDI-out devices, all flowing into JACK, then over Ethernet, into JACK on my second computer, into a vst host with a handful of VSTs on different midi channels, with multiple channels of digital audio coming out of them separately, back into JACK, back over Ethernet, into JACK on my first computer, and into Reason in multiple audio input channels, no?

This would allow me to:

1) effectively use multiple VSTs with Reason.

2) outsource all of the CPU cycles needed for those VSTs onto another computer.

Can anyone tell me if this is a pipe-dream?

Has anyone heard of this or done this?

Thanks!