Flurry of Flames

1. work-in-progress "Smooth Criminals" Pokemon Colosseum Remix

8 posts in this topic

Hey OCRemix, This is a remix of the Cipher Syndicate's theme from Pokemon Colosseum. This has been a project for a month on and off as a friend suggested that I should remix this track and see where it goes as we both love Pokemon Colosseum! I'm still very much a greenhorn when it comes to composition and production, and I'm still very happy with what I made and can't wait for people to listen to it.

I eventually want to be able to have remix up on OCR and would like feedback in terms of what I could do better on this remix, and others that will come after. I hope I can at least make someone's day with my music.

Here is the source:

.Here is my take on it.

Thank you for listening to a newbie's remix. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta love Team Cipher! They have the best tunes (especially Miror B, I seem to recall).

In my humble opinion, the overall musical idea and structure is good, but mostly needs embellishing.

For example, the song could also use some extra instrumentation - maybe try a pizzicato standing bass and a sax. I think the piano could also sound a little fuller, especially near the start - try playing around with the reverb.

Also, I think the buildup at the start could progress a little faster - not in terms of tempo, but in terms of musical progression (e.g. maybe add in the lower octave that currently enters at around 0:23 a bit earlier).

By the way, I particularly enjoyed the vocals - they really give the remix a unique feel (since so few remixes include vocals). As the song progresses, you might like to consider using a chorus plugin, or recording multiple layers of vocals, to get a really nice crescendo effect. (What are you producing this with, by the way?)

Look forward to hearing future versions! ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the feedback! I'm using the basic FL Studio plugins except for addictive keys for the piano. Yeah I think I could use some layering on a couple of aspects and I do like the idea of adding an octave down in the beginning to give it more depth of phrase. I would like your opinion, do you have an idea of how to record a section multiple times with the same voice without it sounding like its the same voice in a way? Thanks again and sorry for not responding earlier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, this is a great foundation! At first I wasn't sure about the vocals, but by the end, I was amazed at how much the vocals make the song what it is. I second the pizzicato standing bass and saxophone. It definitely needs more instrumentation to flesh out the soundscape. Great saxophone samples can be hard to come by; maybe you could ask around on here for a saxophonist to collaborate with? XPRTNovice is great! Maybe he would be interested?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2018 at 10:15 AM, Flurry of Flames said:

I would like your opinion, do you have an idea of how to record a section multiple times with the same voice without it sounding like its the same voice in a way?

I think I know what you mean - you want the effect of a mixed choir, right? Not sure what the best way of going about this is, although as a first step you might try writing other harmony parts to fill in other frequencies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Light_of_Aether for the feedback, and I'll try to implement some of the ideas you had. The problem is that I don't really have great plugins to work with and my skill via production is a lot to be desired as well, but I'll try and do something.

On 3/9/2018 at 2:00 AM, satoka-eldon said:

I think I know what you mean - you want the effect of a mixed choir, right? Not sure what the best way of going about this is, although as a first step you might try writing other harmony parts to fill in other frequencies.

Yes that was one part of what I was talking about, the other part was how can it sound like a choir with one person as it would sound weird to me If I did all of the voices for the choir. It would sound like multiple recordings of the same guy instead of a choir. Am I thinking to much into this or would people be fine if it was the guy doing all the voices?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018/3/13 at 5:28 AM, Flurry of Flames said:

Yes that was one part of what I was talking about, the other part was how can it sound like a choir with one person as it would sound weird to me If I did all of the voices for the choir. It would sound like multiple recordings of the same guy instead of a choir. Am I thinking to much into this or would people be fine if it was the guy doing all the voices?

I think it would be fine, although I must add a disclaimer that haven't tried it myself. I think you can find a lot of pop songs that have multiple vocal layers done by a single vocalist. Don't forget that you can pan yourself around and adjust the reverb, as well as adjust the EQ, for different parts~ ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2018 at 4:06 AM, satoka-eldon said:

I think it would be fine, although I must add a disclaimer that haven't tried it myself. I think you can find a lot of pop songs that have multiple vocal layers done by a single vocalist. Don't forget that you can pan yourself around and adjust the reverb, as well as adjust the EQ, for different parts~ ^_^

Thanks I'll try some stuff out at another time. I'm trying to make as many remixes as possible to get better than come back to them after a while when I get better.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now