Yet Another "What should I buy" thread

Wolfgeist

I've been a lurker for sometime on OCR, and have had thoughts about this for awhile now, but I'm finally getting off my ass and trying to do something about it :)

I want to get started in music mixing and creating. OCR was a big influence on me originally to get started in it, but I'm also interested in creating my own music as well. I'm just lost as to where to get started. I've been looking mainly at Korg's, but I'm not sure what I'm looking at, so I decided to ask the people who would know and help a newb.

Price isn't that much of a factor, but I'd like to keep it under $1000 for the hardware. My music style is gothic darkwave/industrial/schranz (for examples, check out bands like Grendel, Wumpscut, Suicide Commando, etc) so I know already I'm looking at needing a fairly professional level board and program.

This is something I've wanted to do for years now, and now I finally have the time and funds to be able to pursue it, so if anyone could give some advice, I'd be greatful. If I missed out anything you need to know to help, let me know :P

I've been looking mainly at Korg's, but I'm not sure what I'm looking at, so I decided to ask the people who would know and help a newb.

Well, "a Korg synth" doesn't tell anything - a Radias, a Triton, a Micro-X? You'll really need the model names and numbers.

Price isn't that much of a factor, but I'd like to keep it under $1000 for the hardware. My music style is gothic darkwave/industrial/schranz (for examples, check out bands like Grendel, Wumpscut, Suicide Commando, etc) so I know already I'm looking at needing a fairly professional level board and program.

Are you willing to go the 2nd hand route?

A studio setup consists of:

- speakers + amplifier (or just active speakers - those have amps built in)

- audio interface (that's a fancy word for sound card, but one that's for audio, not for games and movies)

- mixer (if you have more than one instrument)

- a synthesizer or sampler

- something that'll do your drums (can be a sampler, too)

- a sequencer (so you can record what you have played)

Industrial music and darkwave leans heavily on samples and distorted synth sounds. For synths, the Nord Leads are often used - they're good in doing a cutting, cold sound. For samples, it doesn't matter that much anymore; but take my advice, don't bother with hardware samplers. If you're a newbie you'll benefit the most of cost and convenience, and for sampling, that means going the software route. For drums, there are drum samplers - the difference with "other" samplers is that they are based on the idea that each sound only occupies a single key.

Now, a program like FL Studio actually already has a sampler built in. Ableton Live has a percussion sampler built in and there's a bigger and more bad-ass one, too.

My advice? Try out FL and Live (Reason in this case is not an option; no audio tracks and sampling a hardware synth can be a tedious task). Cubase is overkill. Get yourself a Nord Lead 2 rack or an Access Virus B (cheap, lots of bang for the buck, favorites in darkwave and industrial) and a nice controller keyboard with drum pads and knobs (M-Audio Axiom, Novation ReMOTE SL). Buy a decent soundcard with a break-out box if you don't have it already. A microphone for recording your own vocals and soundeffects (you'd be surprised how well it works, the kitchen suddenly becomes sampling paradise). Invest the rest in decent speakers, maybe beef up your computer a bit, and make a choice - the program that suits you the best is the one that allows you to get your ideas on paper (or screen) the fastest.

Korg XP-30
Roland XP-30, and it's filled with regular bread & butter (realistic) sounds.

Yes, I was prepared to go a second hand route right off the bat. A Triton would be nice, but a bit of overkill for a starter. The Roland XP-30 also came advised by others my wife knows, so I'm planning on purchasing a used model for roughly $400 (seems to be the standard price).

The $1000 was more of a "in total" price, not just for one piece. I'll also be on the lookout for the Nord Lead or Virus now that they're recommended. I've been looking recently at the E-MU 1212m as the interface card, but I'm kinda stuck since this computer is used primarily for gaming, not audio creation. Down the road, I'm thinking about piecing together a new one in the living room, gods willing I don't get deployed sometime in the near future.

EDIT: Also, I notice the Roland Juno D is brand new for around $530-550 around some shops. Would it be wiser to invest in a new synth than to go the route of a used XP-30 at only a $120 difference or so?