Jump to content

187 minute red brinstar remix speedrun


Recommended Posts

Hello TorchForge!

Nice mood! Love the more industrial feel with the really heavy drums and the small percussive bits. The track is a bit on the short side, but the source can be quite repetitive, so I think it's a good thing in the end. Plus you had limited time, so it makes sense to make a short piece. I'm quite impressed with the result you got in such a short amount of time! I tend to spend 40+h on tracks, so kuddos to you!

I don't know how much you are open to feedback here, but there are a few things I'd note about the track though, as I think it feels over-compressed and a bit cluttered:

  • You drums/percussions are very loud. A bit too much in my taste. The kick is feels fine, though I do hear a lot of pumping, mainly on the bass I'd say.
  • When the bass "grows back", right before each kick, it kind of takes over the other instruments. I get that you are going for an oppressive feel, but maybe change the eq a bit during the track to leave some room for the rest to get through?
  • The first synth playing the melody is nice, but a bit too aggressive and ear piercing during the long notes. Maybe eq it a bit more, or dial down the reverb/delay on it to avoid having too much feedback on the long notes?
  • Overall, maybe turn down the reverb/delay wetness or decay time a bit? I know it's an underwater track, so it makes sense to have a lot of reverbs and delays, but it feels like you over did it a bit, which adds to the soundscape being cluttered. I don't know though, I do tend to mix very dry, so maybe I'm in the wrong here?

Have a great day!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the feedback! I made the track in about three hours and then took a couple more off and on to do a little mixing.

It's a rushed project so I relied a lot on maximus and compression to make up for my sloppiness along with excessive reverb and delay. Basically, instead of taking the extra time to ensure that the track was clean I just dumped a bunch of reverb on it and then relied on compression to bring it all out. Results in a muddy sounding mix in the end I think.

If I get some more time to clean up the track I'll keep your points in mind. Thanks for taking the time to give me your honest thoughts!!

 

Edit - I put in some more time in with your advice in mind and re-uploaded the track

Edited by TorchForge
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...