XENDRAVEN - Destruction Derby - REMIXED (Complete Mix)

xendraven

The Complete all in one mix of my Destruction Derby Remix Project. Something that has been in the back of my head for a very long time, I thought it was time to get it out of my system. My tribute/remixed version of the entire Destruction Derby soundtrack for the PlayStation, originally produced by Elliot Sumner and Tim Swan back in 1995.

I've tried to keep the feel of the original early 90s rave style intact while also bringing it into the present day. Furthermore, I really enjoyed making this project, and I hope you like what I've put together. For great nostalgia!

Let's go back to Christmas 1995! (Or whenever you bought this game)

Game Developed by Reflections Interactive and released by Psygnosis in 1995 on PlayStation, Saturn and MS-DOS

Original Music Composed by Tim Swan & Elliott Sumner / Remixed, Rearranged and additional production by Xendraven

Edited by xendraven
typo

7 hours ago, Hemophiliac said:

Could you please give me more information on what i'm looking at here?  The OST you posted shows 16 sources, and your arrangement is one long (57 minute!! 😱) audio track.  Are there multiple sources used?  Would it be possible to get a source breakdown?

This is a project that I made remixing/remaking the tracks from the Destruction Derby 1 soundtrack. The content I posted here was just all the tracks mixed into one long mix as is the original version is below it.  However, I do have it in a playlist format too here.

I will go back and read the information regarding the format used to post my work. Sorry if there's any confusion.

Evaluation:

First off, let me apologize in taking so much time to get back.  I really wanted to familiarize myself with the source as best as I could, because I have not heard it before.  To me, this is a tough source to work with because there's not much going on melodically for the listener to hook onto.

0:14 breakbeats over the original bass synth + chord stab pattern (0:00-0:21 in the source).  Feels like a loop that is used here rather than new part writing.  Structurally very much the same as the source so far.

1:57 bigger hits come in as well as more low end and a lot of mud is added to the track.  Before 1:57, it was fine and the bass wasn't taking up too much space.

4:09-4:38 that was a good decision to drop the beat here and let our ears have a rest.  When it does come back at 4:38 we get more of the same rhythm pattern.  More variation!!

4:38 when the higher synth comes in I feel like it's supposed to carry a lot of weight and signal a more climatic part of the song, but it doesn't feel as impactful as it seems it should be.

You do add and subtract the layers at good points in the song.  Just when I'm starting to get tired of hearing the same thing it changes, good job there.

To me this sounds more like the traditional usage of the word remix, where the levels are changed on an existing track.  Looking for arrangement and creative additions here.  Things like changing the genre, chord progression, bass pattern, and adding solos (and more) could all work in making a track your own.

Overall there needs to be more significant changes to the feel of the track to make it more distinguishable and your own thing.  Right now the style is very close to the source, and needs something to make it more distinguishable as yours.  Also look at the low end muddiness and see if that could be cleaned up.

Edited by Hemophiliac
Error

[This is an automatically generated message]

I've reviewed your remix and have returned it to Work-in-Progress status, indicating that I think there are some things you still need to work on. After you work on your track and feel that it's ready for submission to OCR, please change the prefix back to Ready for Review and someone will review it again. Good luck!